Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

Multiple Parents Child Hierarchy

I know this topic has been discussed with Solved solutions but I dont think they solved them with this scenario.

I know how to do write the DAX for a simple Parent Child Hierarchy where each child only has 1 parent.  However I am struggling in understanding how to use the same DAX when a child has multiple parents.  

In the below example, when I write the DAX for PATH( ) I receive the following error:

Each value in 'Parent Child'[Child Key] must have the same value in 'Parent Child'[Parent Key]. The value '3' has multiple values.

I know this is a requirement of Path, it must be unique.  But I am confused on how others have solved this?  In all the other Solved solutions their Child Keys were unique without explanation on how.  In the below example, if it was an Employee Org Table the Child Key would represent Employee ID and the Parent Key would represent Manager ID.  Of course Employee ID would repeat in 2 rows if the employee reports to 2 managers.  I am not clear on how to get around this as Child Key / Employee ID is the system generated key and it will repeat. 

In the below example, how do I get the Child Key to be unique to get the Path to work?  I tried creating a unique Child Key table and writing PATH( ) on that table, but you cannot use PATH( ) across tables.  

tctrout_0-1657894782368.png

2 REPLIES 2
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

2 Parents at the same time, not slowly changing dimension.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Does Alan have two parents at the same time, or is this a slow changing dimension?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.