cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ripstaur
Helper III
Helper III

Multiple IF or SWITCH with dates

I have a column containing report dates. I want to create another column that reflects a reporting period, so for instance if the date of the report is after 2/5, it returns "Feb YY" and if any report date is after 1/7 it returns "Jan YY." I understand that I would need to have it parse the latest date first, then nest another "if" statement after it for the earlier reporting period. 

I have tried 

Reporting Period = IF ( [Report Date] > 2/5/YY, "Feb YY", IF ( [Report Date] > 1/5/YY, "Jan "YY", "NA"))

and 

Reporting Period = SWITCH(TRUE(), [Report Date] > 2/5/YY, "Feb YY", [Report Date] > 1/5/YY, "Jan YY")

Both scenarios return a column with Feb YY in every row, unless I switch the dates; whichever date comes first is what ends up being evaluated, and its result returned throughout. 

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ripstaur ,
You should use Date function when referencing dates.

Reporting Period v2 =
IF (
    [Report Date] > DATE ( 202125 ),
    "Feb 21",
    IF ( [Report Date] > DATE ( 202115 )"Jan 21""NA" )
)

Attached demo file. You can make it more dynamic if needed to always compare to 5th day of month. Idea started, you can customize if needed.

This is the result:

date period.PNG

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ripstaur ,
You should use Date function when referencing dates.

Reporting Period v2 =
IF (
    [Report Date] > DATE ( 202125 ),
    "Feb 21",
    IF ( [Report Date] > DATE ( 202115 )"Jan 21""NA" )
)

Attached demo file. You can make it more dynamic if needed to always compare to 5th day of month. Idea started, you can customize if needed.

This is the result:

date period.PNG

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

This is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!