Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

om_eraydin

Multiple Dynamic Data in Text Box

Hi,

I want to create a text report like;

Dear [CompanyName];

Your last order date is [LastOrderDate]. If you need new [NewItem]....

etc. etc. et.c

I want to fill the areas between [ ] tags from the database. I tried to create measure. However id did not worked for me. I want to create a table that has all companies, all last order date and all new items. When I click a single value report shoul be filled this value. For example;

Companies | Last Order Date | New Item

Apple         | 05/05/2017        | Phone

Microsoft   | 06/06/2017        | Computer

IBM            | 07/07/2017        | Laptop

When I select first row I want to see these information in my report. 

Is this possible? Is there anybody who tried to do sometinhg like that?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @om_eraydin,

In text box, we can not use measure. I suggest you add the measure in card visual. Please review the following steps.

1. Create a Table visual to display your table data.

2. Create a measure using the formula.

Measure = "Dear"&VALUES(TT[Companies])&"Your last order date is"&VALUES(TT[Last Order Date])&"If you need new"&VALUES(TT[New Item])

3. Create a card visual to disply the Measure, when you select the first row in the table, the card will display the corresponding result.

select the first row in tableselect the first row in tableselect the second row in tableselect the second row in table

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @om_eraydin,

In text box, we can not use measure. I suggest you add the measure in card visual. Please review the following steps.

1. Create a Table visual to display your table data.

2. Create a measure using the formula.

Measure = "Dear"&VALUES(TT[Companies])&"Your last order date is"&VALUES(TT[Last Order Date])&"If you need new"&VALUES(TT[New Item])

3. Create a card visual to disply the Measure, when you select the first row in the table, the card will display the corresponding result.

select the first row in tableselect the first row in tableselect the second row in tableselect the second row in table

Best Regards,
Angelia

The issue here is that using a CARD will display the result that will be aligned in the CENTER , which is not always ideal when I may have some text in varing length from say 5 words to 20 words and it will look strange on the report where the 5 words text will be in the middle of the CARD and the 20 words text will be stretched fully into the CARD !!

Thanks Angelia. This is the exact solution I needed.

I see no reason why not. Personally I would use MS Word. I guess you could connect to power BI.  Certainly you could extract a spreadsheet using Analyze in Excel and build a mail merge from there. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for answer but I want to create this report in Power BI. Using  MS word, MS excel etc is not my first choice.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.