Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ioanik_maya
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Charts not showing Currency symbol on newest Power BI version.

Hello Community,

I'll explain my issue using an example so that you can replicate.

First I download a power bi file from here: https://bielite.com/wp-content/uploads/CurrencyConversionDemo.zip

I have created a simple table with two columns using the following M commands in power query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSkksSTRU0lEyNDZQitWB8I1AfCMgPxYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [col_name = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"col_name", type text}, {"value", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Moreover I have created a simple measure.

data_measure = sum('Table'[value])

After that I change the formatting to Currency with 2 decimals points !!

For this process I am using February 21 version, which is also provided in the picture for verification.

version PB.JPG

Then I create a Line & Clustered Column Chart  to take a look at the measure, and there is no currency showing.

plot PB.JPG

By recreating this process on a new and empty power bi dataset using the same power bi version, the currency is showing as expected. In the beginning I thought it was a theme related issue, but both charts share the same theme.   

plot PB 2.JPG

I'm guessing this is a bug on the datasets created from older versions, but I'm not sure if i'm missing something important. Since I have a number of datasets created from an old version, where I noticed that the bug is also present, I dont want to face the same issue repeatedly, in which I need to recreate the datasets to plot this right.

I wanted mostly to know , a. if anyone has faced similar issues, b. if yes, was there a workaround besides recreating the dataset on the new version of PB - how can I get this to show currency formatted numbers ? 

Note that this doen't only happen for this type of plot, it happens on all pie and bar charts as well as some others. On the other hand tables and matrices  work just fine in both cases mentioned beforehand.

Moreover, I have faced similar issues with other power bi dataset files, this is a repeated issue, so please don't confuse the url i've provided at the beginning with the problem at hand 🙂 .

Kind  regards,

@ioanik_maya 

3 REPLIES 3
ioanik_maya
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Thank you for reaching me and sorry for the late reply,

Well I tested on both versions February 2021, and March 2021. What I did is that, I downloaded the file from the url https://bielite.com/wp-content/uploads/CurrencyConversionDemo.zip, I created a custom table with hand-inserted data and I formatted a new measure with currency and a comma. And on each case when viewing the totals, it won't format accordingly.

This image I posted might make it more clear:

plot PB 3.JPG

When I insert a filter of category (which I created as a separate column) the format on the barplot appears.

Without being 100% sure, I think the version which created a separate report file on which this also occured and where I first noticed this, was of December 2020.

Kind regards,

@ioanik_maya 

HI @ioanik_maya,

Can you please provide the sample pbix file to test? (previous test are based on query table formula you shared)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ioanik_maya,

I test with the last version[2.91.701.0 64-bit (March 2021)] of power bi desktop and your sample data works well. What version of the power bi desktop you used to create the report file and face the issue to open on the new version?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.