Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alpelaez1
Regular Visitor

MultiYear in axis by month/quarter etc

I am suprised that power bi cannot display multiyears in months by default. I have a data that describes a process. Each items in the process have to go through multiple steps and everytime it moves it capture the date, so we can calculate how long it took in each step and at the ent the total cycle time.

When I select dates a x axis, and any of the realted dimension it consolidates, first by year, then Q, month and day, but after month it aggregates the measure by 12 months............ I wnat to show the full 24 or 36 months in the X axis. I research and it come with solutin about creating date tables, if this is a self service BI tool, that should be a very basic function. Am I missing something here? I am working on evaluating multiple BI tools to select the one to be implemented in this company, and really it is the only one that I see with this behavior. Other tools are Tableau and DOMO

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alpelaez1,

There are many approaches.

1. If the original data table has a year-month column.

2. Add a calculated column of year-month.

Column = FORMAT([Date], "yyyy-mm")

Multi_Year_in_axis_by_monthquarter_etc

3. Expend to year-month. (if you don't want the quarter part, you can delete it)

Multi_Year_in_axis_by_monthquarter_etc2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is really useful thanks - do you know if there's a way to change this around so it lists quarters as opposed to months though? I can't see anything in the standard guidance, but could be missing something.

Thanks! 

Might have answered this myself with this post and using a date table

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.