Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BeenSearching
Frequent Visitor

Multi value category + Adhoc Filter

I have a list of employees with category fields that define each employee's work type. Employees can have more than one type. Here is an example: 

1.PNG

So far I've been able to find varias ways to make the employee count from each category appear correctly in a bar graph like this:

2.PNG

However, the solutions I've found don't allow me to use the bar chart as a way to ad-hoc filter other visuals. I click on Category1 for example and nothing happens in the other visuals.

How can I build a bar chart that allows me to ad-hoc filter other visuals on the page?

Thanks for any help the community can offer. 

Also, this Solution was very close but relies on a filter visualization. I'm hoping to find a way to make it work using the bar chart. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@BeenSearching,

You could unpivot this table, and then count the Cateogrys.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMgABQyUdJefEktT0/KJKZLYRkK0UqwNVBeahSsLYxghVxhBV2CVNiLLIlCiLzIhSZQ53DkLMAs0V2HVa4nErpnJDA9KU4w/yWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Category1 = _t, Category2 = _t, Category3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee", Int64.Type}, {"Category1", type text}, {"Category2", type text}, {"Category3", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Employee"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Blank Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Columns", each not List.IsEmpty(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Record.FieldValues(_), {"", null})))
in
    #"Removed Blank Rows"

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@BeenSearching,

You could unpivot this table, and then count the Cateogrys.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMgABQyUdJefEktT0/KJKZLYRkK0UqwNVBeahSsLYxghVxhBV2CVNiLLIlCiLzIhSZQ53DkLMAs0V2HVa4nErpnJDA9KU4w/yWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Category1 = _t, Category2 = _t, Category3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee", Int64.Type}, {"Category1", type text}, {"Category2", type text}, {"Category3", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Employee"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Blank Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Columns", each not List.IsEmpty(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Record.FieldValues(_), {"", null})))
in
    #"Removed Blank Rows"

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you have to build a many to many relationship, this means you need three tables:

• employee
  • category
  • employees_categories

build the following relationships:

• category (one) and employees_categories (many) cross filter direction "Single"
  • employee (one) and employees_categories (many) cross filter direction "Both"

Hide the table employees_categoriees from report view

Create a measure that counts distinct the employees in the table employees_categories like so

employees count = 
calculate(
  distinctcount('employees_categories'[employee])
)

Hope this helps, if not please create sample data that we can easily recreate, e.g. upload a pbix to OneDrive or Dropbox and share the link

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.