Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iDataDrew
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Multi-step calculation to create factor that is multiplied against a future date; table output.

Let me first briefly explain what I've done in Excel utilizing tables and aggregate functions (no PowerPivot at this point).

I have calculated out a factor/multiplier to be utilized in determining an electric load schedule based on a forecast from the overall grid (on a utility basis).  I get to this factor by first figuring out what percentage our electric load is to the utility's total load, and I do this on a weekday and hourly basis for each utility (see screen capture below).

utility_factors.png

I calculate out the above for a range of several weeks in the past.  Then I take the average of the above on a weekday and hourly basis for each utility (see screen capture below).  This becomes the factor/multiplier.

factors.png

The PJM grid, which essentially manages the utility loads, posts a 7-day forecast for each utility.  I use these factors/multipliers against the forecasts to assist in determining our electric load schedule for each utility.  So the factor, which is an average of the percent of our load to the utility load from the past few weeks, is used against the forecasted loads to come up with an electric load schedule.

I'm trying to simplify these steps and the creation of multiple tables by incorporating them into one or two measures in Power BI.

I've tried usign SUMMARIZE() and CALCULATETABLE() and FILTER() in different ways but haven't had much success yet.  Something always goes wrong.  Any thoughts?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@iDataDrew

Based on your description, I still can't understand your scenario.

What are those columns stand for? Which columns are involved in your calculation? What's your expected result? Can you clarify your requirement or simplify your sample?

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft thanks for the reply.  I understand it's a bit confusing.  I tried to be somewhat thorough in my explanation though.  The column headers are electric utilities, but that doesn't matter much when it comes to understanding the logic itself in performing the calculation.  Basically, I need to average historical data to come up with factors/multipliers that will then be used to multiply against forecast values.  The results of multiplying the factor against the forecasts will be my output (in a table format).  I'm thinking I may have to use CALCULATETABLE() in some way.

I'm not sure if this clarifies things, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.