Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi line tooltips in Desktop and Service

Hello experts,

I am trying to display multiple lines in Power BI image tooltips but the tool is not honouring any of the syntaxes. Below are the things that i have tried:

1. Appending UNICHAR(10) within the text For eg: "Text line 1" & UNICHAR(10) & "Text Line 2"

2. Appending CHAR(10) / CHAR(13) . This was suggested somewhere but it generates a syntax error in dax.

3. Tried putting <br> tag within the text and tried to view the same in the service. still no effect.

4. manually added a line feed for eg: "Text line 1" & "

Text line 2"

5. Finally used MAQ softwares dynamic tooltip visual which respected UNICHAR(10) but is very slow on performance. It takes 6 Seconds to load it (stats derived from visual section in performance analyzer).

If someone has done something similar, kindly share your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chetan

4 REPLIES 4
Mayank_Yavda
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Anonymous 

Try PBIVizEdit tool, to get the custom tooltip which will help you to create template for tooltip with <br> tags. hope this helps you to get multi line tooltip. You can refer below visual also, 

Custom Tooltip Bar Chart PBIVizEdit.comCustom Tooltip Bar Chart PBIVizEdit.comBar Chart with custom tooltip PBIVizEdit.comBar Chart with custom tooltip PBIVizEdit.com

Download link for the custom visual file in this page,

https://pbivizedit.com/gallery/bar-chart-with-custom-tooltip 

This was made with our Custom Visual creator tool PBIVizEdit.com. With this tool,

• anyone, irrespective of technical skills, can create their own visuals
  • 15 minutes to create a visual from scratch
  • opens up many additional attributes to edit (for e.g. labels, tooltips, legends position, etc)

Give this a shot and let us know if you face any problem/errors.
You can use the editor to modify your visual further (some modifications cannot be done in Power BI window and have to be in editor).

Thanks,
Team PBIVizEdit

Alex_pg
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

I created a Info Button at the top of the dashboard and would like to add a structured Tooltip with information such as:

"information 1"  &
CHAR(10) &

"information 2" &

CHAR(10) &

"information 3"

But it is not working , the tooltip will display: "Information 1information 2information3"

The issue is on both desktop and server.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Do the tooltips page help you?

Create tooltips based on report pages in Power BI Desktop

If not, could you please consdier sharing more details about it or drawing a simple picture to show your expected visual for further discussion?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use tooltip pages.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.