Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abakes21
Regular Visitor

Multi-level sankey query - creating supporting visuals

Hi Power Bi Community,

This is my first go at Power Bi and I'm creating a multi-level sankey for our customer journey.

I'm trying to create supporting visuals that can tell more of a story within the sankey (eg. when a node is clicked within the sankey a table is updated that has more qualitative information). However, because a multi-level sankey is created through a new table. I've lost the connection to the original table and can't figure out how to re-connect to the original table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Andrew Screenshot 2021-02-25 152521.pngScreenshot 2021-02-25 152547.pngScreenshot 2021-02-25 153302.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is how far I got for now.  As mentioned I added an index column in power Query. However it looks like the Sankey visual does not support drillthrough, so for now your only option is to right click, show as table.

lbendlin_0-1614434724890.png

You can consider these options:

- Add the field name (or an abbreviated version) as a prefix to the field values

- tell your story the other way round - have the raw data table drive the Sankey.

- raise an issue with the developer Issues · microsoft/powerbi-visuals-sankey · GitHub

- clone the visual code and modify it yourself.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is how far I got for now.  As mentioned I added an index column in power Query. However it looks like the Sankey visual does not support drillthrough, so for now your only option is to right click, show as table.

lbendlin_0-1614434724890.png

You can consider these options:

- Add the field name (or an abbreviated version) as a prefix to the field values

- tell your story the other way round - have the raw data table drive the Sankey.

- raise an issue with the developer Issues · microsoft/powerbi-visuals-sankey · GitHub

- clone the visual code and modify it yourself.

I thought the drillthrough would have been the answer, but it's good to know that the Sankey visual doesn't support it. I will contact the developer and see if something can be done.

In the mean time, telling my story the other way around as you suggested may be the way to go.

I really appreciate your help - Thanks again!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Add an index of the original table's row to the UNION.  You don't need to display it directly in the Sankey but you can use it for the drillthrough.

Thank you for the response!

It makes sense, but I have no idea how to add an index. I've spent the last couple of hours trying to sort it out but, I'm struggling.

Any chance you can elaborate on the solution a little bit more?

Thanks again!

Please provide sample data in usable format (not as a picture) and indicate which Sankey visual you are using.

Hi IbendIin,

I really appreciate the response!

I've added a sample of original data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RaQDkUG8qHh_nxtUM58Xx2Qm7GEfprAOlaZTGg8a3jE/edit?usp=sharing

Im not sure if this answers the second part of your question, but Im using Sankey Chart version 3.0.3. 

If you need any other information from please please let me know. And thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.