Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mwadhwani
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Multi-factor authentication for Publishing from Desktop to Power BI Web

Hello Team ,
When we publish from Desktop to web , we only need Power BI web Authentication .

Any idea , how another level of authentication can be there ( Multi-factor authentication)
Lets say some encryption , or some other level of authenticity during Publishing .

Basically , we want to go multiple level of Authentication in order to publish from Desktop to Web . That would enhance security in terms of Publishing .

Thanks in advance 
3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mwadhwani 

Do you mean "Publish from Power BI Desktop to Service"?

If so, it only need a Power BI account.

It doesn't need "Multi-factor authentication".

When you publish to service, you could choose which workspace to publish.

But for some App workspace where you have only view permission, you don't have access to publish report to this workspace.

What "security" do you want to enhance?

You could describe a scenario so that i may be come up with some workaround.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-juanli-msft 

Thanks for the reply

As mentioned ,From publishing from desktop to web , only Power BI Account is needed .

We need more more level of Authorization .

Lets assume , i am publishing my report to web from desktop into some workspace , I would need 2 level of Authorization

First , Some other authorization (another level of security with username and password) before we connect to Power BI web.

Second, Power BI Account

"Some other authorization" might refer to some org level constraints before we hit the power BI web with Power BI Account

Hi @mwadhwani 

When you publish report from desktop to service, which app workspace you could publish to depends on whether you have permission to that app workspace.

for example, if you have read permission to the app workspace 1/ you aren't a memeber of this workspace, then you couldn't publish report to this workspace.

you have edit permission to the app workspace 1, then you could publish report to this workspace.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-workspaces#create-an-app-workspace-based-on...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.