Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi conditional switch statement

Hello  -  I have a situaiton where I have a Switch statment that only partially works.    I am curious if there is a better way to write this (that actually works!) or perhaps use  VAR.   

My use case is that I have returns (we call them RMA Orders) and these orders can have multiple lines to them.  Or just a single line.

Since these are returns, there is a problem code associated with them (T1 - T7).     One order can sometimes have multiple problem codes, even if it is just a single line Order.     Or, and Order can have multiple lines to it, and each line has a different problem code.

If an Order (regardless of the number of lines) has just one problem code associated with it, I need the newly created column to say "Single" on that row that contains the Order number.      If the Order has multiple product codes associated (again...whether it is a one line order or several lines), then each row for that Order needs to say "Multiple".  

Although not completely correct, you can get some idea of how this should look by looking at the first two rows below.   Order RMA-000873 has two lines to it.    Each line has a different product code associated with it  (and could in theory, have many different product codes associated with it).      The current formula does correctly say "Multiple", but there are many other rows that incorrectly say Single  or   Multiple  so I know the formula is not working.   

Ideally, I wish I could put both  the  &&   and   ||   operators together as this would logically fit what I need.   In other words, if the Order = just one product code, then Single.    If it equals 2 or more, then Multiple.   

MULTIPLE.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One more ) right before your RETURN statement

Multiple or Single = 
  VAR __Table = 
    DISTINCT(
      SELECTCOLUMNS(
        FILTER(
          ALL('Table'),
          [RMA] = EARLIER([RMA])
        ),
        "__Problem Code",[Problem Code]
      )
    )
RETURN
  IF(COUNTROWS(__Table) > 1,"Multiple","Single")

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, no sample text data provided and I don't like typing so going to wing this DAX calculation, apologies in advance for syntax errors. This is for a column.

Multiple or Single = 
  VAR __Table = 
    DISTINCT(
      SELECTCOLUMNS(
        FILTER(
          ALL('Table'),
          [RMA] = EARLIER([RMA])
        ),
    )
RETURN

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg.   I do get two errors.     When I hover over the __Table it says  "Parameter is not the correct type.   Cannot find name __Table.

And it says the syntax for Return is incorrect.   

Any idea why this is happening?  

multiple single.png

In your VAR statement, replace the comma at the end with a )

I believe that should fix it. 

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg  -  Sorry to trouble you but I still got an error.     The red lines are saying 1) a syntax error with Return, and 2) the other two red lines say these are "Unexpected Expressions". 

So close....!

Greg.png

One more ) right before your RETURN statement

Multiple or Single = 
  VAR __Table = 
    DISTINCT(
      SELECTCOLUMNS(
        FILTER(
          ALL('Table'),
          [RMA] = EARLIER([RMA])
        ),
      )
    )
RETURN

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

One last question...just trying to understand the "why" of this part of the formula.   I undersand all of the rest, but do not understand how the "__Problem Code", [Problem Code]  works?     What is the __Problem Code as it does not seem to be a VAR?    Many thanks again for your help.

[RMA] = EARLIER([RMA])
        ),

Sure, when you use SELECTCOLUMNS you have to specify a name for the column you are "creating" and then what column to select. So the name of the column in the calculation "__Produce Code" and the column that is selected is the "Problem Code" column in the table. SELECTCOLUMNS returns a table with the column names that you specify and those columns have the values of the column in the original table you are selecting from.

Now, the next question that you are likely to ask is why I didn't just use:

"Problem Code",[Problem Code]

And just name the column the same name as before. The reason is that this can become VERY confusing as to which "Problem Code" column you are referring to, especially with DAX's intellisense. I find it better to prefix things that I create as VAR's and such with "__". This ensures that I know what the heck I am referring to later in my DAX code. When you write complex DAX, trust me, it is very helpful to keep things straight in some manner like this. 

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

That did it Greg!!  Thank you so much.    The Power Bi forum is seriously amazing.   Everyone is so helpful.   And a great learning resource as other more experienced users help folks like me with these formulas....so that we may study and learn from them. 

Good stuff!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors