Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MCornish
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Multi Row Card Conditional Formatting

So odd scenario here.

I have a multi row card where I am conditionally formatting the bar colour. If every row has the same colour key then it works fine, as soon as one is different they all turn grey (not one of my options). 

See images

All green.PNGAll Grey.PNG

Rules.PNG

Is this an issue with the visualisation or am I being a tool?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @MCornish 

Unfortunately that's the way conditional formatting works on Multi Row Card.  It's not really working as you'd expect, and as a result it's not very useful.

What's it's actually doing is looking at all the values in the Colour Key column.  If you set your CF Rules so that you want to apply different colours to different values (as you have) - PBI doesn't know what to do because some values in the Colour Key column are 0 and some are 1.  It can't apply 2 rules to all the card rows, so it makes them grey.

mrc1.png

If you only have 1 CF Rule, or you choose to format by an aggregation like Minimum, so you set it to colour the bars based on the Minimum of the Colour Key

mrc2.png

Then it makes all bars red because the min in the Colour Key column is 0, and there's a rule to match that value.

Likewise if you format for the max value to be 1 it can find 1 in the Colour Key column and find a matching rule, so all bars are green.

mrc3.png

It's not clear this is how it works and it's not very useful.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NourJ
Helper III
Helper III

Hi, Is there any solution for this?

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @MCornish 

Unfortunately that's the way conditional formatting works on Multi Row Card.  It's not really working as you'd expect, and as a result it's not very useful.

What's it's actually doing is looking at all the values in the Colour Key column.  If you set your CF Rules so that you want to apply different colours to different values (as you have) - PBI doesn't know what to do because some values in the Colour Key column are 0 and some are 1.  It can't apply 2 rules to all the card rows, so it makes them grey.

mrc1.png

If you only have 1 CF Rule, or you choose to format by an aggregation like Minimum, so you set it to colour the bars based on the Minimum of the Colour Key

mrc2.png

Then it makes all bars red because the min in the Colour Key column is 0, and there's a rule to match that value.

Likewise if you format for the max value to be 1 it can find 1 in the Colour Key column and find a matching rule, so all bars are green.

mrc3.png

It's not clear this is how it works and it's not very useful.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

It is actually not a solution indeed, just the representation of reality of another poor PowerBi visual that is not working as everyworld is expecting

😕

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.