Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi Matrix solution

Hi,

I have a matrix that’s showing me several metrics (sales, sales vs target and market share) and the result for this month

Country

Metric

Result for this month

UK

Sales

Sales vs target

Market share

20%

Germany

Sales

Sales vs target

+3

Market share

50%

Ireland

Sales

Sales vs target

+1

Market share

10%

Next to the results for this month, I also want to show the Year over Year Results for this month, the Results Year To Date, and the Year over Year difference in Results Year To Date. It would then look somewhat like this:

Country

Metric

Result for this month

Year over Year difference

Result Year to Date

Year over Year difference

UK

Sales

+5%

+10%

Sales vs target

-2%

-5%

Market share

20%

+5pp

22%

+3pp

Germany

Sales

+5%

+10%

Sales vs target

+3

-2%

+20

-5%

Market share

50%

+5pp

+10pp

+3pp

Ireland

Sales

+5%

+10%

Sales vs target

+1

-2%

-5%

Market share

10%

+5pp

15%

+3pp

There is currently no visualization type that I know of that will let me do this. As far as I'm aware there’s two options:

1. Create multiple matrix visuals and put them behind eachother so that it looks as if it's one big matrix
    Pro: You can add any filters that can update the first dimension (in this case country) to a different dimension to quickly see the results for other dimensions.
    Con: Some smaller changes in the data can make a cell for one of the matrixes move up or down, which leads to distorted visualisations and the wrong information being displayed on some lines

2. Recreate this matrix by using cards for every cell.
    Pro: Looks great
    Con: big negative effect on load times / takes a long time to set up as for every report you would require a new sheet to be created / limitations when it comes down to filtering.

I would love to hear if anyone knows of any additional solutions that are easier to implement to create such a matrix as the one from the example. Perhaps there is a visualization available for download somewhere that could do the trick?

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You may add SWITCH in measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-hide-null-columns-in-matrix-table/m-p/562296#M265307

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft  thank you for your help.

I'm not sure the switch function would work here. That's because the measures are both in the columns and in the rows. 

Sales Results for this month, the first cell with a number value in my example table, is one measure

Sales vs target for this month, is one measure

Market share for this month, is one measure

Then the column next to that.

Sales Year Over Year difference, is one measure

Market share Year over year difference, is one measure. etcetera. 

If you still think the switch function could help, can you give an example of what that would look like in the matrix?

Thank you
Bas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.