Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi-Line Diagram to compare plants with categories

Hello!

I've been trying to find a solution for this problem, but no luck so i figured i'll ask directly. 

I have data structured like this:

RegionCategory

Month

PlantProductivity
NorthIron1A100
NorthSteel1B200
SouthSteel1C150
NorthIron1D50
SouthIron1E250
SouthSteel1F100

I want to create a Line diagram where i can choose a plant and compare it's productivity/month to other plants OR the average productivity of the region/category.

For example, if i select A, C and "North" i'd like to have three lines in my graph, one for each selection.

I am able to create comparisons between plants and plants, or categories and categories. But mixing them is where i run into a wall. I have tried to use a data hierarchy, but if i choose "North" it shows A, B and D, instead of a single line for "North."

Thank you in advance!

/Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you please create a calculated table to combine all dimension you want to show in the line chart:

Table 2 =
UNION (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Region],
        'Table'[Month],
        "Productivity", SUM ( 'Table'[Productivity] )
    ),
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Category],
        'Table'[Month],
    ),
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Plant],
        'Table'[Month],
    )
)

Capture3.PNG

use the new region column for slicer and you can compare value in different dimension( column chart is used because of the lack of sample data):

Capture4.PNG

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EYiTYAsQOVhIsKtUPJNgjTkBpopZGgUjHWtIu-6u1h9haw?e=4kfnJH

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rajend12
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please explain what type of chart you need. I am pretty much did not get what you need !!!! 😦

Thanks,

Deepan 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! Sorry, my english is a little bit rusty. I am talking about a Multi-Line Graph

In this case, i'm comparing 3 different plants. However, i would also like to be able to add a line for "North". 

JoStill_1-1603265477760.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you please create a calculated table to combine all dimension you want to show in the line chart:

Table 2 =
UNION (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Region],
        'Table'[Month],
    ),
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Category],
        'Table'[Month],
    ),
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Plant],
        'Table'[Month],
    )
)

Capture3.PNG

use the new region column for slicer and you can compare value in different dimension( column chart is used because of the lack of sample data):

Capture4.PNG

For more details, please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EYiTYAsQOVhIsKtUPJNgjTkBpopZGgUjHWtIu-6u1h9haw?e=4kfnJH

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

I am afraid it is not possible at this point. Because, the Region is a different category when compared with Month/Productivity.... So PBI is not able to provide relationship etween them !!!!!

If you have a chance to change/modify your request, I would be glasd to provide you with a solution.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.