Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Multi Language Reports

Since Power BI is extending from month to month I would like to get a full picture of the opportunities in terms of multi-language usage - as of today. 

What approaches exist to switch/ toggle the measures, titles, etc. between different languages?

What approach is the most professional one? And is there something in the pipeline within the next releases?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @joshua1990 ,

a friend of mine is talking about this ath the datamindsconnect conference on the next Tuesday,

the link to the conference: https://datamindsconnect.be/ you will find the Session in the Agenda "Do you speak English? ..."

Basically one has to differentiate between two challenges

• provide different languages for the metadata of the data model, meaning different languages for tables, cloumns, and measures
  • translate the content of the data model accordingly

Next to that one must not forget all the measures that return text, e.g. for text boxes.

Both of the above mentioned challenges have their shortcomings.

Power BI datasets (metadata) support different languages in the service, for this it's necessary that the dataset resides inside a workspace that is backed by a Premium capacity. The languages settings can be configured using Tabular Editor. At the current moment, the language settings have to be configured using the XMLA endpoint, as Power BI Desktop datasets, do not support language configuration.

Different languages for the content of the data model can be provides by using different data modeling techniques. But as these variants are more complex, I really recommend to join the session and/or get in touch with Markus.

I'm not aware that the current situation will change in the near futue.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens : Thank you so much for your input!

Unfortunately, I was not able to join the conference. Do you know if there is any recording of these sessions?

Since we are not working with a premium licence, I think the second and more unprofessional approach is the way we should think.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.