Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi KPI 2.1.1

I recently Downlaoded it and used to for one of production dashboard to calculate variance . However, somehow still confused as to how its calculates variance and by which logic percentage changes?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,
Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean the logic of calculating the variance? 

Variance is a measure of how widely the points in a data set are spread about the mean. To calculate variance by hand, you take the arithmetic difference between each of the data points and the average, square them, add the sum of the squares and divide the result by one less than the number of data points in the sample.

Assume you are given the 10 data points:

4, 7, 10, 5, 7, 6, 9, 8, 5, 9

Find the average, the variance and the standard deviation.

First, add the 10 values together and divide by 10 to get the average (mean):

70/10 = 7.0

To get the variance, square the difference between each data point and the average, add these together and divide the result by (10 - 1), or 9:

• 7 - 4 = 3; 32 = 9
  • 7 - 7 = 0; 02 = 0
  • 7 - 10 = -3; (-3)2 = 9 . . .

9 + 0 + 9 + . . . + 4 = 36

σ2= 36/9 = 4.0

The standard deviation σ is just the square root of 4.0, or 2.0.

Best regards,

Dina Ye

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks v-diye-msft for explanation. Have you used this componenet called KPI 2.1.1? It seems it calculates based on some othe logic as it includes time series of data as well . It calculates something based on first and last date.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Oops, just got your point. you mean the variance rate . The rate was calculated by (the value on the last day)-(the values of the first day), then divide (the value of the first day). Providing that, date is from 2017/1/1 to 2018/6/30, and values is around 44K and 64K, that means the variance is (64-44)/44 in these 2 timestamp ,around 45%:

008.PNG

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft  Hello , thanks for your explanation, I want to see if there is a way to chang the percentage calculation.

For example, the top I show the actual sales, bottom show the target sales, and the percentage I want show the actual sales/ target sales, which means how many sales have achieved. Is that possible? thank you

Hi @Anonymous ,

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,
Dina Ye

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.