Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mulitple Responses Survey Question

Hi everyone,

I have some survey results where each user had the opportunity to select multiple answers to analyze and I am a bit stuck...

Here is a snapshot of the data:snap1.PNG

As you guys can see from the above, a player can play multiple games on multiple devices.

So what I wanted to display on my dashboard is a table or bar chart of the consoles along with a slicer for the games played.

To achieve that, I did the following:

Step 1: Unpivot the Games. Here is the result:

snap2.PNG

Step 2: Unpivot the above but for the consoles; here is the result:

snap3.PNG

Step 3: On the canvas, I did the following:

snap4.PNG

And this works well; the numbers tally up properly!

However, if I were to remove all the filters (No selection), the numbers do not make sense anymore. 

Here how it looks like:

snap5.PNG

I would like the table to just show the number of times the game was played irrespective of the console when there is no selection.

That is: 

Fortnite: 18

FIFA 19: 11

Need For Speed:10

Call of Duty: 6

NBA 2K19: 3

Can anyone please help me with this? Please me know if there is a better way of doing it.

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great. So what you actually are trying to do, is to show the number of respondents pr game and device. There is nothing wrong with your code, but your dataset has some issues. There is no way of identifying a respondent. You can change this by adding a column in your excel file with a uniqie number pr row, or you can add an index column in power query.

I would have shared a file with you showing how it could be done with power query, but it seems like you are using an older version of power bi desktop, so you would not be able to open any file I send you.

cheers,
S

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,
I think what you have done should work, and I am not able to recreate the behaviour you experience. Perhaps you could upload a sample of your file to dropbox/onedrive/other and share the link here?

cheers,

S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. So what you actually are trying to do, is to show the number of respondents pr game and device. There is nothing wrong with your code, but your dataset has some issues. There is no way of identifying a respondent. You can change this by adding a column in your excel file with a uniqie number pr row, or you can add an index column in power query.

I would have shared a file with you showing how it could be done with power query, but it seems like you are using an older version of power bi desktop, so you would not be able to open any file I send you.

cheers,
S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohh ok!

So I added the index column to the table.

then my value count is the "Distinct Count" of the index... So we can identify individual respondents.

That seems to work!

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.