Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RodBaylon
Frequent Visitor

Moving values to new dates

Hi there, 1st time posting a question so I apologize in advance for any eventual mistake.
Trying to build a model to guess when job would be quoted based on a table which contains data for job names and possible award dates.
I would like to start very simple by plotting a chart with the same amounts however placed 45 days prior to the award date.
Can I simply do it via a measure or do I really need to create another table in the query?
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@RodBaylon 

I think you need to have a datetime dimension table. If you don't have, you need to create one first.

You can set up the date scope of that table.

step1.JPG

Then you build relationship with your fact table. I think in the real data the relationship here should be one to many

step2.JPG

At last, you can use DAX to get the date 45 days ago.

step3.JPG

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks and BR

Ryan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@RodBaylon 

I think you need to have a datetime dimension table. If you don't have, you need to create one first.

You can set up the date scope of that table.

step1.JPG

Then you build relationship with your fact table. I think in the real data the relationship here should be one to many

step2.JPG

At last, you can use DAX to get the date 45 days ago.

step3.JPG

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks and BR

Ryan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks @ryan_mayu for your simple solution and detailed explanation. t by creating a new column in my Data Model. Where I was not going anywhere was because I was trying to get this done by just one DAX formula and only virtual tables. Maybe I need to use things like CALCULATETABLE and VARIABLES to get it done.
nonetheless, appreciate your input and have already implemented it to my model. Again, thanks a lot2018-12-16 15_07_15-EHAC NAM PIPELINE RP - Power BI Desktop.png

affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @RodBaylon

Your question is not very much clear, it seems like you are looking for something that can be  acheived with the DATEADD function.

To get your question answered quick please see this post.

Regards

Affan

Hi @affan, thanks for the feedback. A summary of what I'm trying to do:

Column A is a date from the system and Column B is a calculated one (Column A - 45). And I'd to link values from column C to column B.

I understand I could have it done at query level however I would like to know if a measure with DAX could do the trick dynamically.

I tried DATEADD however it was not moving values (Column C) from dates in column A and associating to dates in Column B. Unless I am doing something wrong. DATEADD was looking for a past reference and because there is none, my next chart was empty.

thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out.

2018-12-16 14_04_15-DATA SAMPLE RAv00 - Saved.png

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Welcome to Power BI Community. 

Please share sample data and screenshots of the expected results 🙂

@OmegaHi, I'm still trying to figure out on how to attach files to this chat.

Inserted a pic of what I am trying to do in POWER BI.

Column A is a date from the system and Column B is a calculated one (Column A - 45). And I'd to link values from column C to column B.

I understand I could have it done at query level however I would like to know if a measure with DAX could do the trick dynamically.

2018-12-16 14_04_15-DATA SAMPLE RAv00 - Saved.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.