Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

whatisdaxneway

Moving one column to another table without appending/merging

I need to move a column of numbers from "Readiness" table to my Geography lookup table.  

The two tables are related.  

I've tried to use RELATED but that doesnt work.

I also do not have the "home table" option in my ribbon.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @whatisdaxneway ,

Because of the one-to-many relationship, the RELATED function cannot be used in Table Geography lookup, but can be used in Table Readiness.

Because of your relationship, your one of the rows may match multiple VISN values, and you need to determine the specific logic.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @whatisdaxneway ,

Because of the one-to-many relationship, the RELATED function cannot be used in Table Geography lookup, but can be used in Table Readiness.

Because of your relationship, your one of the rows may match multiple VISN values, and you need to determine the specific logic.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

whatisdaxneway

The tables are related.

If I want the new column in the geography lookup VISN VALUE, I used:

VISN Value = RELATED(VISN) but this did not work.

I want to move the information from the VISN column in the Readiness table into the Geography lookup table without appending.

whatisdaxneway_0-1665161878382.png

Additionally, this does not work:

whatisdaxneway_0-1665163838566.png

Hi! @whatisdaxneway 

Can you provide some sample data and the expected solutions?

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @whatisdaxneway 

You cannot move the column from one table to other. But, you can either merge it in power query or use lookup in dax to get that column there.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904
Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @whatisdaxneway,

I think the LOOKUP() function will help you pull the required column.

Please refer to:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/lookupvalue-function-dax

Mark this post as a solution if that works for you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors