Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jmillar
Helper I
Helper I

Moving/migrating models between Power BI and SSAS

Hi all;

Our organization is currently looking at the best way to centralize data models -- SSAS or embedded in Power BI Desktop/Service.  One question that came up was whether it's possible to move/export models between the two platforms.....doesn anyone have an experience/info?

J

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello I would like to ask can cube migration be done with Power BI report server and not Power BI desktop version to SSAS.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmillar

You could connect to SSAS Multidimensional models or Tabular data in Power BI Desktop,

if you need publish from Desktop to Service, then you need to manage a gateway and connect the datasources to the gateway.

Please read through these trials and have a try.

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Using Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

manage data source-SSAS

Also please note the limitations

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Limitations-about-connecting-a-SSAS-multidimensional-model/...

To import an existing Power BI dataset model into SSAS tabular, please follow below blogs:

IMPORT POWER BI DESKTOP MODEL TO SSAS TABULAR 2016

IMPORT POWER BI DESKTOP MODEL TO SSAS TABULAR 2017 USING AZURE ANALYSIS SERVICES

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks for the info -- there's no way to migrate existing SSAS tabular models easily to Power BI though?

J

@jmillar,

There is no direct way to do that for the current moment. It will be available somewhere in February-March 2019 once XMLA endpoints will be released. Details https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/intelligence-platform....

For now, you can copy and paste DAX and M (Power Query) code from SSAS to Power BI. It is also a fast option.

Regards,
Ruslan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

So is there a way to copy/migrate an SSAS Tabular cube to Power BI Desktop model.bim? I don't know what an XMLA endpoint is nor what to do with it. Thank you.

Hi @zoloturu ,

I see that the XMLA endpoints is released. Do you know how to migrate SSAS Tabular to Power BI Destkop?

@v-juanli-msft It would be great if you can give us your point of viez about whether this is available in the roadmap or not ?

Thank you,

DA

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @jmillar,

So there are several tools/platforms:

1. Power BI Desktop

2. Power BI Service

3. SSAS Tabular

4. Azure Analysis Services (AAS) Tabular 

Each model represents XMLA code.

Of course, SSAS/AAS is a better way because it is an enterprise level of reporting. You have more control over the settings of the server, partitions etc. 

Power BI if better for self-service or light version of enterprise reporting. This is for now. I think in the 2019 year it may change because it will be much more extended. But, if you will start from Power BI and not from Tabular then you will be able to connect to any Desktop report via SSMS and copy XMLA deployment script and apply it for Tabular server. But import Tabular model into Power BI is impossible.

Regards,
Ruslan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.