Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving average of a Measure

Hi,

I'm trying to add moving average to a measure i created,

but the moving average should ignore blank rows.

for example:

Date             Value

1/1/2017         10

1/2/2017          5

1/3/2017

1/4/2017          8

The moving average 3 (last 3 days) of 1/4/2017 should be (8+5+10)/3 = 7.666

What i have now is, for moving average 3 of 1/4/2017 : (8+5)/2 = 6.5

How can i filter the blank rows before the calculation of the average?

This is the DAX code of the measure:

MA3_DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC =
AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD (
'DimDate'[Date],
LASTDATE ('DimDate'[Date] ),
DAY
),
[DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC])

DimDate includes all the dates from 1/1/2016 till now.

DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC is a measure that subtracts two other measures, that don't have values for 1/3/2017 for example.

The dates that don't have value are not trading days, i have a boolean column [IsTradingDay].

Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Eran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you answer,

I solved it already in different way, but i'll save your solution for any case.

The solution that worked for me is:

adding incremental column to the date, which gives id only to the trading days, and another column which is the id - 3 (for the moving average).

then add a measure:

AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL(DimDate),[Rank] > MAX(DimDate[RankPrev3]) && [Rank] <= MAX(DimDate[Rank])), [AverageColumn])

Eran

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi eranmn

Can I ask why you are using AVERAGEX to calculate moving average?

Best

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I read it in another forum.

What is your suggestion?

Eran

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw in your earlier post that you want it based on days. So here is the example:

First you need to calculate the average of your target: Average of target = AVERAGE(Table[Target])

Then you calculate the moving average like this: Moving average of target = CALCULATE([Average of target];DATESINPERIOD(Table[Date];LASTDATE(Table[Date]);-3;DAY))

This is without a time dimension. You could also do this with a time dimension. It makes no difference.

I've attached a picture with the solution. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything.

Best

MartinMoving average.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the example,

but my problem is more complicated,

i need to create moving average to measure, not column,

and the dates column including rows that should be filtered before the average taking place.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you elaborate? As far as you explain for now, my solution will work for you. Maybe you can provide an example for clarification?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can check my original query, i wrote example,

plus, look at this article:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/alberto_ferrari/archive/2011/01/26/powerpivot-stocks-exchange-and-the-movin...

This is exactly my problem, but i have measure instead of calculated column.

Eran

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. Sorry, I missed this part of your problem. I can see that it will be visually misrepresented.

So you need to do something else. This method can be applied to both measures and columns.

- Create your measure: OriginalMeasure = SomeMeasure

- Create a measure, which defines blanks: MeasureWithBlanks = IF(ISBLANK([OriginalMeasure]);"";[OriginalMeasure])

- Create your moving average measure: OriginalMovingAvg = CALCULATE([OriginalMeasure]; DATESINPERIOD(Table1[Date];LASTDATE(Table1[Date]);-3;DAY))

- Create a measure, which excludes blanks: MovingAvg = IF(ISBLANK([MeasureWithBlanks]);"";[Moving average1 of Value])

This looks a little silly if you plot it in a trend-visualization (see picture below), because the measure doesn't calculated anything for the missing day. You can go to format and change the x-axis to continous. This will give a smoother interpretation, but it will misrepresent the x-axis.

Let me know if this solves your problem. 

Moving average without blanks.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you answer,

I solved it already in different way, but i'll save your solution for any case.

The solution that worked for me is:

adding incremental column to the date, which gives id only to the trading days, and another column which is the id - 3 (for the moving average).

then add a measure:

AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL(DimDate),[Rank] > MAX(DimDate[RankPrev3]) && [Rank] <= MAX(DimDate[Rank])), [AverageColumn])

Eran

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I'm glad you solved it. Clever way to define which days has values and which hasn't. Could I ask you to choose either one of our solutions as an "accepted solution" for the thread, so we can help people with similar challenges?

Best of luck in the future

Martin

@Anonymous isn't it better practice to use a time dimension though when using date functions?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg Yes, I agree. I always use it myself and I would always advice people to use time dimensions. The note was simply to emphasis that I didn't use it in the test-example. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Is my solution working for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest you use calculate instead. I'll make an example for you but first i need to know one thing: Do you want to make moving average based on day, week, month, quarter or something else?

Bestt

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

On day.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

which part is blank?

not sure if this will work but give it a bash

AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD (
'DimDate'[Date],
DAY
),
not(blank([DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC])))

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately it's not working,

the blank function ahould be IsBlank, but the UI gives error :

"The function AVERAGEX takes an argument that evaluates to numbers or dates and cannot work with values of type Boolean."

Eran

@Anonymous actually there is blank() and isblank

probably best to add filter to it,

AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD (
'DimDate'[Date],
DAY
),
calculate([DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC], DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC >= 0)

or something to that affect

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried:

your suggestion gives error: 

"A function 'CALCULATE' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed."

AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD (
'DimDate'[Date],
DAY
),
calculate([DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC], FILTER(VIXFuturesData, [DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC] <> 0)))

but it give for every row the value of [DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC], didn't calculate the average.

sorry 😞

probably best to use filter then, did the one you did work?

AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD (
'DimDate'[Date],
DAY
),
calculate([DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC], FILTER(VIXFuturesData, [DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC] <> 0)))

Anonymous
Not applicable

no,

it gives for every row the value of [DiffFirstSecondAvgOHLC], didn't calculate the average.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.