Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Toast36
Frequent Visitor

Moving a report from Development to Live......

Hi all,

So here's the situation. I have been developing a data set using our Dev databases which is now ready to be moved to live. The dataset sits on services and I've created report in desktop using that datasaet as the data source. The problem is that I don't want to have to re-create the entire report from scratch with the new dataset I would prefer to take a copy of the Dev report and repoint it to the Production Dataset instead.

I know that I could just point the DEV dataset to pull data from the Live database but I still need a dev dataset for other work.

Is there a way to do this using the Desktop application?

Thanks

Danny

4 REPLIES 4
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Toast36

Yes you can do that very easily ! 

Go to file > Options and settings > Data Source Settings > Right click data source > Change data source

- Quentin

Whilst that would allow me to re-point the data source to use a different connection string it doesn't seem to allow me to change the datasource used within the report.

As the report that I want to re-point has been built using a PowerBI Services dataset there is no Data Source saved in the report.

What I want to do is update this report to pull from a different PowerBI Services dataset, rather than changing the data source for that dataset.

Hi @Toast36,

If you switch from one Power BI Services dataset to another Power BI Services dataset, the report still can be updated. If I understand your scenario correctly, you want to pull data from more than one dataset. I would suggest you create an idea here

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for the reply but I don' tthink I have explained myself very well. Let me try again....

We currently have 2 datasets in PowerBI Services, lets call them DEV and PROD. These 2 data sets are identical but 1 pulls from our development database (DEV) and the other pulls from our Production database (PROD).

I have built a report against the DEV dataset which, having tested, validated and agreed with the teams, I now need to re-build to use the PROD data. Naturally re-building this from scratch will take time and could end up in differences in layout ect due to human error.

What I am looking for is a way to disconnect the DEV dataset and connect instead to the PROD dataset. So that I do not need to re-build the report from scratch.

Hope this makes more sense.

Thanks

Danny

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.