Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving Excel spreadsheets to Power BI Service

I built a desktop application that connects to several Excel spreadsheets (from my hard drive). Now when I publish it I want to switch it so these are access through One Drive. Not sure how to do that?

Z

5 REPLIES 5
Maddy99
Resolver II
Resolver II

you have 2 options. 

1) before publishing, change the connection to one drive in your power BI dekstop file

2) make a parameter of your connection. then you can change this in power BI service. 

unfortanly it is not yet possible to change the connection in Power BI service . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks this is helpful.

I made a connection to an excel file in OneDrive. Then I published the app to Power BI service.  But the data doesn't refresh no matter what I do. I even deleted the file in OneDrive and it still kept the same numbers when I refreshed. Confused.

Z

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests with my excel in OneDrive, everything works as expected.

Please check if your steps is similar to mine.

1. Conncet the excel file in OneDrive in Power BI Desktop and create the report, then publish the report to Power BI Service.

2. Login Power BI Service, Go to Setting >>Datasets>> find the dataset in OneDrive and edit data source credentials.

3. Do some changes for the excel file in OneDrive.

4. Go to Power BI Service, select the dataset in Onedrive under Dataset and click Refresh Now.

5. Refresh the report, then you will see the refresh data.

In addition, you could have a reference of this document about refresh dataset in OneDrive.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cherry - sorry finally getting back. The issue that remains after I did what you suggested is that the refresh fails and  "data source credentials"  is gray'd out.

Z

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.