cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmck86 Member

Moving Columns to Rows or Building Multiple relationships

Hi All,

I have a data set and I am attaching a sample of that for everyone to see. I am wondering how I can get the data flipped from columns to rows for all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th level designations. I had tried to have it setup to where I reported off the data with the columns going straight across; however, when I am building relationships between the zip codes provided and a seperate file that I have with county and state listings I am running into issues figuring out how to build relationships with the zip codes 2,3,4 &5. I am only able to build the relationship with the zip code 1. Do you guys know how I can get the data to simply go down in rows? Or do you have any ideas how I can build relationships between not only zip code 1 but all the other zip codes present in the other columns.

2017-06-12_13-50-09.png

I tried to add this information copy and pasted into this file but ran into some issues... However, the basic layout is below:

UW (From Duke HR File) DesignationName1 DonationAmount1 Designation1Address1 Designation1Address2 Designation1City Designation1Test File ate Designation1ZipCode
UW (From Duke HR File)
DesignationName1DonationAmount1Designation1Address1Designation1Address2Designation1CityDesignation1Test File ateDesignation1ZipCode

After that the columns continue and the designation name has a 2 instead of a 1 all the way to designationname5 with all the other columns as well with the number 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Moving Columns to Rows or Building Multiple relationships

Hi @nmck86,

In this scenario, you can use the Unpivot option in Query Editor to turns multiple column headers into a single column but in rows. and store their values in another column. For more details about how to use Unpivot option in Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

2016-04-07_01h04_27

Regards

2 REPLIES 2
Pratima Member

Hi nmck86,

Please visit the below link.....i hope this will be helpful for you

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/format-table-visualization-transpose/td-p/99474

Thanks,

Pratima

v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @nmck86,

In this scenario, you can use the Unpivot option in Query Editor to turns multiple column headers into a single column but in rows. and store their values in another column. For more details about how to use Unpivot option in Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

2016-04-07_01h04_27

Regards