Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Move/Transfer/Migrate Power BI file to Analysis Services

Good day

I am trying to Move/Transfer/Migrate my development done in Power BI Desktop from the Power BI file into Analysis Services (not Azure).

I have seen some posts on the topic but it did not help for various reasons eg could not script the database, Azure Designer was discontinued etc.

Can somebody perhaps engage with me to check how this can be achieved? There is weeks of development of relationships and measures which I would like to not manually replicate in Analysis Services.

Thank you kindly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may refer to the article Migrate a Power Query or Power BI file to a local SSAS instance, see the steps as it described:

1. Import the Excel file in Power BI Desktop, save and close the pbix-file
  2. Open Azure Analysis service, open the Web Designer and create a new model where you import the pbix
  3. Open that model with Visual Studio (this will actually create a download that holds the VS-file)
  4. Open that file in Visual Studio, load the data, build and change the deployment target from Azure to you local SSAS-database before deploying.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may refer to the article Migrate a Power Query or Power BI file to a local SSAS instance, see the steps as it described:

1. Import the Excel file in Power BI Desktop, save and close the pbix-file
  2. Open Azure Analysis service, open the Web Designer and create a new model where you import the pbix
  3. Open that model with Visual Studio (this will actually create a download that holds the VS-file)
  4. Open that file in Visual Studio, load the data, build and change the deployment target from Azure to you local SSAS-database before deploying.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit

Thank you for the prompt response. I have seen these two, but they are both for AZURE Analysis Services opposed to just Analysis Services.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.