Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rich_P
Helper II
Helper II

Mother of All PQ Challenges: semi-structured text file

I have a text file generated from an undocumented feature in MS Access which outputs an object's definition into a text file. There is a 'structure' to this text file, but it's mostly visual based on groups of space characters. So for each control on a form, there is a BEGIN and an END row that share the same indent level, and there are controls withon controls (think a button in a detail sections of a form, which is a subform, which is in a subform control on a main form...)

FORM>Subform Control>Subform>Detail Section>Button>myriad properties about the button...

For my purposes, I probably need less than 25% of the data in these file; I don't care about the size and locations of items, or any of their formatting properties. I just need to scrape out the meaty stuff like Rowsource, ControlSource, Name, Event Procedures, etc.

I have tried to do this on my own and got some good results based on ideas I learned from Gil Raviv's post 

Common Data Patterns You’ve Never Dared To Transform

But I can't seem to figure out how to make it into usable data. Frankly, I think this might asking far too much of PQ.

The database I'm analyzing has well over 5,000 objects in it. It's been on life support for many years and I need to be able to disect it to begin replacing it. None of the paid or freeware tools are able to process this database which is why I have resorted to this option.

If anyone has some ideas on how to approach this, or can confirm that PQ isn't an appropriate tool for such a task, please chime in. I have provided links to the original text output file ( ContractReviewLog.txt ) as well as my work on it thus far ( MotherOfAlPQChallenge.xlsx ).

As always, I look forward to learning from all of you!

Thanks,  Rich P

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Rich_P,

What is your expected result? In your LastPQAttemptReaults query, I note that you have made a standard table structure that contains PropertyName column, there, you can filter the PropertyName to show Rowsource, ControlSource, Name, Event Procedures, etc.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.