Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SAG28
Frequent Visitor

Most optimal setup with pro license

Hi,

Our setup today is that we built dataflows that loads tables from our ERP system.

Then we use PBI desktop to consume dataflows and publish to the PBI service.

We dont use incremental refresh with this setup because we only have pro license, so we use schedule refresh for dataflows and dataset. 

The question is if this setup is the most optimal??

Or would you guys just skip dataflows and built everything in PBI desktop, use incremental refresh from there and then publish to PBI service?

The size of the datasets is often around 70-120 MB.

Thought we could use premium per user license, where dataflows would be in a PPU workspace and dataset in a pro workspace, but unfortunately this isn't possible.

Hope all of this makes sense 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SAG28 ,

Your two solutions:

Dataflow&Dataset: scheduled refresh

Dataset: incremental refresh

You can compare the advantages and disadvantages through the refresh time in "Refresh History" and adopt the shortest solution.

v-lionel-msft_0-1611913672410.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SAG28 ,

Your two solutions:

Dataflow&Dataset: scheduled refresh

Dataset: incremental refresh

You can compare the advantages and disadvantages through the refresh time in "Refresh History" and adopt the shortest solution.

v-lionel-msft_0-1611913672410.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I am aware that incremental refresh is possible for both pro and premium. But you can't do incremental refresh for dataflow and dataset when using both.

I'm just interested in knowing if I should continue to use dataflows, after which my datasets refresh from these dataflows OR if I should only use datasets, so we do not have to update twice.

The users/viewers only have pro license, so premium is not an option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.