Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drobinson1
Helper III
Helper III

More effcient formula- most recent cost update starting and ending date

This one may be complicated to explain, but I will give it a shot. I have three tables:

Table1=Recipe Table

Table2= Date Table

Table3=stdcosthistory table

There is no relationship for these 3 due to other complications within the reports and measures.

Recipe Table contains a material number and a warehouse number.

Stdcost history shows all materials and warehouse cost changes with a valid from date.

Date table is a standard date table that acts as an independent slicer on the report.

I want to add a measure in the recipe table that based on product and warehouse and also the date range selected in the date filter table, it would pull in the most begging cost and ending cost during that date range.

Example:

Recipe Table

Product       Warehouse 

0230                01

Date Slicer filter= From 1/1/2015 to 8/19/2016

Cost table

Product         Warehouse        Cost      Valid From

0230                     01                  .25         12/20/2012

0230                     01                  .35          12/20/2014

0230                     01                  .15           1/15/2015

0230                     01                  .26            7/8/2016

0230                     01                  .29            12/1/2016

I have a few measures in the recipe table however they seem to take up to much memory most of the time.

First two find the min and max date of the selected date range.

minddate = MIN(RC_Daily_Sales_Report_Invoice_Line_Detail[Invoice_Date])

maxdate = MAX(RC_Daily_Sales_Report_Invoice_Line_Detail[Invoice_Date])

These are the final two formulas that seem to work but eat up to much memory.

AvgBegStdCost =
CALCULATE(AVERAGE(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[CURRENT_STD_COST]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[VALID_FROM_DATE]=[stdcostfirstdate]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[PART_CODE]=[RawMaterialPartcode]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[WAREHOUSE]=VALUES(RC_FULL_LEVEL_RECIPES[Warehouse_0])))

AvgEndStdCost =
CALCULATE(AVERAGE(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[CURRENT_STD_COST]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[VALID_FROM_DATE]=CALCULATE(MAX(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[VALID_FROM_DATE]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[VALID_FROM_DATE]<[maxdate]),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[PART_CODE]=VALUES(RC_FULL_LEVEL_RECIPES[RawMaterial])),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[WAREHOUSE]=VALUES(RC_FULL_LEVEL_RECIPES[Warehouse_0])))),FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[PART_CODE]=[RawMaterialPartcode]))

Any Ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I can see that there are too many separated filter expressions in your formula AvgBegStdCost  and AvgEndStdCost. Each FILTER() is a iterator which will iterate entire table so that it consumes memory.

Since your FILTER() expression is on same table, please put your conditions into one filter expressions.

For example,

AvgBegStdCost =
CALCULATE(AVERAGE(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[CURRENT_STD_COST]),
          FILTER(IC_STD_COST_HISTORY,
                       IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[VALID_FROM_DATE]=[stdcostfirstdate] &&
                       IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[PART_CODE]=[RawMaterialPartcode] &&
                       IC_STD_COST_HISTORY[WAREHOUSE]=VALUES(RC_FULL_LEVEL_RECIPES[Warehouse_0]))
          )

Best Regards
Alex

I am going to give you my opinion here - others may not agree 🙂  

I help a lot of people with DAX problems. One problem I see is that you are not following what I think is best practice in preparing your data.  I would not even attempt to look at your formulas becuase they are far too confusing to me.  You may understand what you are doing, but the fact you are stuck suggests there is an easier way.  This is what I recommend.

1. Change your table names to something simple.  How about "Calendar", "Recipie" and "Cost"

2.  Rename your columns to something simple.  eg Cost[From Date], Cost[Current Cost] etc

Next, I can't tell if you should have relationships or not.  Sometimes if you defer solving a problem in one stage, you just make it harder in the next stage.  I couldn't say for sure.  Is it a many to many problem?  If so, you could read my article here http://exceleratorbi.com.au/many-many-relationships-dax-explained/

What are the stats of your tables?  How many rows, how many columns?

I assume you are using 32 bit.  Can you move to 64 bit?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.