Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Months not sorting in a graph

Hi All

I have a direct query and it doesnt allow ORDER BY . Inmy graph i have months randomly places and not in an order , is there a way to fix this please see the screen shot.Capture715.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

What field are you using for month on your X axis? 

If it's some sort of calendar/date dimension, select that field in the Fields pane, and in the Modeling ribbon click Sort by Column to sort it by the Month Number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks its a field called MOnth Name from the date dimension , i have no clue what what you asked me to i cannot find a ribbon can you please send me a screen shot?

Thanks

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

image.png

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Tex628 no lu k with that.

There is a bug right now with the Sort by Column button.  If you select a field and it shows as greyed out, but then select a different field and back to the first one, it sometimes becomes available.

Was your issue with the Sort by Column button, or it just didn't fix your graph?  If so, you may need to sort your X axis the other way.  Right now it looks like it's displaying months in backward chronological order, which should be fixable.  In the top right of the visual, can you find an option to sort ascending? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

had both the issues, first the sort icon was greyed out, next i did like you said and applied the sort , the months are still showing in a random manner , not even backward order 

currently its showing as June march may april july 

Huh. Weird.

Making the months sort by month number should have fixed the issue. Can you share a .pbix file for this?  If you can't due to data sensitivity, can you try recreating this with super basic dummy data and send us that?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks i know it is a stupid question but is the report itself a .pbix file?

Yeah. Power BI uses .pbix as the file type, just like word uses .docx.  

If you upload the report to a file sharing service (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc) and share a link here, we can play with it and see if we can fix the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks All that resolved it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.