Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Months dynamically Shown based on MTD,QTD and YTD filter selection.

Hello All,

I have bar chart with Months column as shown in below image and a filter for MTD/QTD/YTD. I want to show the month in bar chart as shown in below image based on my selection in  MTD/QTD and YTD filter. 

My fiscal Year start from "May" and end at "April". So for QTD, I should be having only "Aug", "Sep" and "Oct" in the below bar chart. Similarly if i select MTD filter, i should be having only Sep month bar chart and if i select YTD, then i should be seeing all months from May to Sep.

Months changes dynamically.JPG

Any help on how this can be achieve.

Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , for MTD and YTD you can use time intelligence. YTD with year and date

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"4/30"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"4/30"))

For Qtr You need Qtr Start Date

Column in date table

Qtr Start Date = DATEADD(STARTOFYEAR('Date'[Date],"4/30"),QUOTIENT(DATEDIFF('Date'[Start Of Year], 'Date'[Date],MONTH),3)*3,MONTH)
Qtr Month No = DATEDIFF('Date'[Qtr Start Date],'Date'[Date],MONTH)+1
Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Start date],,ASC,Dense)

Measures

This QTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank]) && [Qtr Month No ] <=max([Qtr Month No ])))
Last QTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1 && [Qtr Month No ] <=max([Qtr Month No ])))

This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

The calendar file is attached after signature

1.Creating Financial Calendar - From Any Month
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-Financial-Calendar-Decoding-Date-and-Calendar-1-5-Power/ba-p/1187441

Power BI — Year on Year with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-ytd-questions-time-intelligence-1-5-e3174b39f38a
Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
Power BI — Month on Month with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak   

Hi,

I have already calculated the MTD,QTD and YTD. 

My issue is how i can filter out the months on bar chart for based on MTD/QTD and YTD selection.

If select QTD then i should have Aug,sep and Oct and Remove May,Jun,Jul.

Need you help to achieve this!

@Anonymous , what date is selected on the page. A measure slicer can be one option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

No date is selected.

Please check the below formula:

Mtd_Sales =
var maxdate=MAX(Table[Timeline] )
var selecdate=IF(not(isfiltered('(Table)'[Timeline])),maxdate,SELECTEDVALUE('(Table)'[Timeline]))
return CALCULATE(SUM('(Table)'[Sale]),DATESINPERIOD('(Table)'[Timeline],selecdate,-1,MONTH))

Can we create same formula which can retuen the "Months" from Months column instead of "Sales".

Something like below:
Mtd_Months =
var selecdate=IF(not(isfiltered('(Table)'[Timeline])),maxdate,SELECTEDVALUE('(Table)'[Timeline]))
return  ('(Table)'[Months]),DATESINPERIOD('(Table)'[Timeline],selecdate,-1,MONTH))

But i am getting error with the above formula. 
Wanted to check what would be the correct way to have "Text" in return function by keeping all other variable exactly the same. If i am able to include Text in return function then issue will be resolved.

Thanks!!

@Anonymous , Try like

Mtd_Months =
return CALCULATE(SUM('(Table)'[Sale]) , values('(Table)'[Months]),DATESINPERIOD('(Table)'[Timeline],selecdate,-1,MONTH))

or

Mtd_Months =
return CALCULATE(SUM('(Table)'[Sale]) ,DATESINPERIOD('(Table)'[Timeline],selecdate,-1,MONTH))

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak  : How to calculate FISCAL QTD with the help of below formula:

Mtd_Months =
return CALCULATE(SUM('(Table)'[Sale]) ,DATESINPERIOD('(Table)'[Timeline],selecdate,-1,MONTH)

Need to calculate the fiscal QTD by using above formula.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer the content in the following links to get it. 

QTD Function with Custom Fiscal Quarters

Custom time-related calculations

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have already calculated the MTD,QTD and YTD. 

My issue is how i can filter out the months on bar chart for based on MTD/QTD and YTD selection.

If select QTD then i should have Aug,sep and Oct and Remove May,Jun,Jul.

Need you help to achieve this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.