Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anumon

Monthly update POWERBI using with SCCM

I want a solution for PowerBI Desktop updates monthly from SCCM, we have 100+ desktops required updates.

The download only available with EXE, MSI packages are not available from Microsoft download page.

Is there any Software update available now for PowerBI?

Waiting for your support.

9 REPLIES 9
Anigbani

Hello, 

You can install it as an appx app.
i've done this for some apps since microsoft store is blocked like your case.

To do so you search powerbi and copy paste the link at this one https://store.rg-adguard.net/, you can be able to download the appx file and the dependencies.

then you install it as an appx file.

For the updates you need to do an supersidence.

Hope this resolves your problem.

Anigbani

Hi @anumon 

I don't know if you've found a solution yet but i will recommend you do an app supersidence for power bi.

Here an article that it show how it's done. It doesn't show for power bi but show how you can do it.

https://www.anoopcnair.com/sccm-application-supersedence/

Hope it helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for asking again but: is creating a package every month and create a supersedence logic the only way to keep updating Power BI by SCCM in a company?

There's no option to allow th user to upfrade without UAC?
There's no catalog available where  to send updates to the devices?

It's a lot of IT work if each month you have to create, test and deploy a new Application Package to the whole company...

Thanks in advance

Marc Bajo

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anumon ,

When Power BI desktop monthly update available in Microsoft download page, we need to download the installer file manually then install on the machine. So currently it is not supported to use SCCM to update Power BI desktops automatically .

Your demand is a good idea, and you can post your new idea in Idea Forum , add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your comments.  I try to uninstall old versions with SCCM as a normal package, but that one also not working.

Microsoft stopped the release of PowerBI installation file in MSI format, it is available only in EXE, Converted EXE to MSI with third party tool, but not successful. Tested in multiple machines with different solutions, but the silent uninstallation and deployment is not working.

Could you assist on above issue now?

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @anumon 

When you install Power Bi from Microsoft store when ever any bug fixes or any update is available it will get installed automatically without anyone's intervention.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Thanks pranit, unfortunately  we need to use SCCM to update PowerBI desktops.  Microsoft store not enabled for client machines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI maintains a cache for every tile visual on your dashboards and proactively updates the tile caches when data changes. In other words, tile refresh happens automatically following a data refresh. This is true for both, scheduled and on-demand refresh operations.

Dear Pistle,

Thank you for your response, we didn't enable dashboard for Power BI in SCCM.

Client required an automation process to be update Power BI desktop monthly from SCCM.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.