Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AROBERT93

Monthly X-Axis with Weekly Data on Line Chart

Hi folks!

I have weekly data over multiple years that I'm trying to display in a line chart. The goal is to show one line for each year, with 52 data points intact, but on an X-Axis that only shows the starting point for each month (January-December). Every attempt I've made to put Months in the X-Axis of the chart ends up summarizing/averaging the weekly data points. I can drill up/down, but that's not what I want - would like to see weekly data on a monthly x-axis. Any idea how to make this work? Excel can do it just fine, as shown in the example below:

Weekly Data on Monthly X-Axis (Excel)Weekly Data on Monthly X-Axis (Excel)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @AROBERT93 

Just turn off Concatenate labels in Formatting->X axis->Concatenate labels

Result:

9.JPG8.JPG

By the way: Please ensure the chart sort by x axis values.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/concatenate-Labels-does-not-work-properly/td-p/415010

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @AROBERT93 

Just drag Month column into Axis and Year column into Legend.

If not your case, please share a simple sample pbix file for us have a test.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin!

The data is weekly - putting Month in the X-Axis summarizes the data, which I don't want. I'm looking to preserve the weekly data in the lines, while only showing months on the chart.

This is the summarized view that I want to avoid:The underlying data is weekly - this view summarizes the output (not ideal).The underlying data is weekly - this view summarizes the output (not ideal).

hi, @AROBERT93 

Drag WeekNum field into Axis as below, then Expand all and expand one field at a time.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-drill

6.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Hi Lin!

We are getting much closer! The output now shows month and Week Number, but the Months repeat. Is there any way to group them so it only shows the Month Name once per Month?Months still repeat...Months still repeat...

Appreciate all the help!

hi, @AROBERT93 

Just turn off Concatenate labels in Formatting->X axis->Concatenate labels

Result:

9.JPG8.JPG

By the way: Please ensure the chart sort by x axis values.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/concatenate-Labels-does-not-work-properly/td-p/415010

Best Regards,

Lin

Hi Lin!

That works! Many thanks for all your help - both X-Axes needed to be numbers (I had been formatting the Month names as text with 'MMM' as the format). I was able to achieve the result by switching back to "Date Hierarchy" for the CalDates and Keeping the Week Numbers as categorical numbers. It looks great!

Monthly X-Axis with Weekly Data Power BI.JPG

Washivale
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @AROBERT93 ,

Assuming you are adding Week Ending/Week Starting date in Line Chart, consider changing X axis Type to "Categorical" using Format option of Visual, let me know if it works. 

image.png

Also, you should look for options like showing last 16-24 weeks in single visual instead of 52 weeks). Adequate data points will make your visual better to understand for end users.

Thank you,

Sandeep

Thanks for the reply, Sandeep!

These are the settings I'm using:CalDate is normalized to 2019 dates for prior yearsCalDate is normalized to 2019 dates for prior years

CalDate is set as CategoricalCalDate is set as Categorical

Here is what I get when I set the X-Axis to Categorical (and standardize the weekly dates to all be in the same year - 2019):Weekly Dates on Axis, Set as CategoricalWeekly Dates on Axis, Set as Categorical

What I'm hoping to achieve is the same view, but with only Months on the X-Axis, as in the original post's Excel example.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.