Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jessalbea
Frequent Visitor

MonthYear field not sorting correctly on Scatter Chart x-axis

Scatter Chart not sorting.PNG 

Anyone here had experience on x-axis of scatter chart not sorting? I am using a MonthYear field.
even if I choose the field in Sort by of the visual it still not sorting correctly. please refer to the screenshot.

also note that I choose the same fields in a table and it is sorted correctly

11 REPLIES 11
KalSkirata

I´m struggling with the same issue 4 years later. Are there any updates?

shaunwilks
Helper V
Helper V

This frustrates me with every solution I work on. They just never fix it.

I reported in a seperate thread. 

Doesnt make sense that you can add a Month Year as a X -Axis to the Scatter chart but then not sort it. The Scatter chart does not use the "Sort by Column" that gets set on the X Axis when there are multiple results in the legend

ElizabethTachji
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

I had the same experience too.  As a workaround I created no of days column that counted number of days from today to the particular date.  

Elizabeth Tachjian
Mr_Glister
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have the same issue sorting just years. Works correctly in all other charts but not in Scatter. 

Funny enough, I can sort them decending correctly but not ascending. 

Narukkp
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Team,

I am also facing same issues scatter chart month sorting is not working when we drag the values in Y-axis. I have creted one monthname & monthno coumns and monthname sort by month no but still it is not working in scater chart but it is working another charts

Has this been determined to be an error or is there a work arounds when using a Scatter Chart? When I use Line Chart the Month-YR is correctly displayed. Thanks.

ldavis4230
Frequent Visitor

Have there been any updates on this topic? I am having the same issue with a date field not sorting as expected in a scatter chart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems thats the expected behaviour of scatter plot.seems to be a bug. Havent received any update on this

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jessalbea,

Did you have a full date column? Then just make the Month Year sorted by the date column in Data pane.

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

thank you for the reply.

I am using Azure Analysis Services as my source, and I've already sort the field by the Date column but still won't sort correctly on scatter chart.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe this is a bug. I am facing the same issue, the sorting works fine if I change to Line chart or any other  graph, but for scatter, sorting is disturbed.

I say it to be a bug.

@v-frfei-msft  kindly check from your end.

Thanks, Ank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.