Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tommuirwebb
Frequent Visitor

Month slicer to filter YTD

I have 2 table visualisations showing data for 2018 and one slicer which contains the month of the year.

I'd like this month slicer to control both table visualisations. However I want one table to show data for the month selected in the slicer and I want the other table to show data YTD (so filter the data where the date is less than or equal to the month selected in the slicer).

The first table is easy to acheive, it's the YTD table I am struggling with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommuirwebb - It would be preferable to have a Date table, because it enables you to use Time Intelligence functions.

However, if you only have month names to join the tables, you could:

1. Add a month key to the month table, e.g. 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, etc.
  2. Add a YTD Calculation like this - this assumes your table only has a single year of data:
Value YTD = 
var _selected_month = SELECTEDVALUE(MonthTable[MonthKey])
return CALCULATE(
    SUM(YourTable[YourValue],
    MonthTable[MonthKey] <= _selected_month 
)
I hope this helps. If it does, please Mark as a solution.
I also appreciate Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Can you create a month table like this and then use the dates based on month selection to control same

MonthTable = 
var FullCalendar = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR("2016/1/1","2017/12/31"),"Month Number",MONTH([Date]),"Year",YEAR([Date]),"Year-Month",LEFT(FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMdd"),6),"Month Name",FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"),"Year-MonthName",YEAR([Date]) & " " & FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"))
return 
SUMMARIZE(FullCalendar,[Month Number],[Year],[Year-Month],[Year-MonthName])

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommuirwebb - It would be preferable to have a Date table, because it enables you to use Time Intelligence functions.

However, if you only have month names to join the tables, you could:

1. Add a month key to the month table, e.g. 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, etc.
  2. Add a YTD Calculation like this - this assumes your table only has a single year of data:
Value YTD = 
var _selected_month = SELECTEDVALUE(MonthTable[MonthKey])
return CALCULATE(
    SUM(YourTable[YourValue],
    MonthTable[MonthKey] <= _selected_month 
)
I hope this helps. If it does, please Mark as a solution.
I also appreciate Kudos.

Thanks @Anonymous. I was able to get the desired results using a sepearate calendar table (with no relationships to any other tables) and using this table for the slicer. Then using your Value YTD measure I was able to sum the values appropriately.

Actuals YTD = (
VAR _Curr_month = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[MonthNumber])
return
calculate(sum(Actuals[Actual_Amount]),Actuals[MonthNumber] <= _Curr_month ))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.