Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jayjani
Helper I
Helper I

Month over month change issue

Hello,

I need to calculate the Month over Month change in Flash. I have my Excel sheet formatted in the following way (without date stamp): 

IndexRegionLocationTransfer OrgFYSubmissionCategoryQ1Q2Q3Q4
606GeoIndiaCompute TowerFY19Jun FlashCost0.010.010.010.01
607GeoIndiaCompute TowerFY19Jul FlashCost0.000.010.010.01
608GeoIndiaHITFY19Jun FlashCost0.070.090.140.14
609GeoIndiaHITFY19Jul FlashCost0.190.230.220.22
610GeoIndiaSDCFY19Jun FlashCost0.010.010.010.01
611GeoIndiaSDCFY19Jul FlashCost0.010.010.010.01

First, I unpivoted my data in Power BI to have just one column for 'Quarters'. Then I split FY and Submission column to fetch 'Year' and 'Month'.

I created a separate 'Date Table' and adjusted Date as per my Org's Fiscal Year (FY starts in November).I linked my date table to source table by creating YYYYMM column in both. 

However, when I use the Quick Measure 'MoM change', it doesn't calculate the actual difference and results following:

Capture.PNG

I tried all filter combinations, so it is certainly not a filter issue. My date table is working perfectly - when I create a table with July filter on, the date shows (Fiscal Month - 9, Qtr - 3, and FY - 19), which it should as per my Fiscal schedule.

But the MoM% simply doesn't work. I also tried manual coding and it still doesn't pull previous month data.

If somebody could help, I would deeply appreciate it. I have been working on this the entire week.

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jayjani,

In your post, it seems that you want to use quick measure for MoM change, right? If so, I think you need a date column. You could change measure like below

102.png

quantity MoM% = 

VAR __PREV_MONTH =
        CALCULATE(
            SUM('Table7'[quantity]),
            DATEADD('Table7'[date], -1, MONTH)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(SUM('Table7'[quantity]) - __PREV_MONTH, __PREV_MONTH)

103.png

If you don’t have date column, and your data sample is like below

104.png

You could add another index column for this table, and use measure like below

Measure 9 =
VAR PRE =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( MOM[Value] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( MOM ),
            MOM[Index] = MIN ( MOM[Index] )
                && MOM[Transfer Org] = MIN ( MOM[Transfer Org] )
                && MOM[ID]
                    = MIN ( MOM[ID] ) - 1
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        PRE = 0
            || ISBLANK ( PRE ),
        DIVIDE ( ( SUM ( MOM[Value] ) - PRE ), PRE )
    )

105.png

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, but it  doesn't work. My data has Q1 to Q4 fields for every month. So, that ID algorithm will produce QoQ change, not MoM change. If you see the picture, I have Q1 to Q4 data for both June and July.

I tried adding date column in Power Query in Excel but it still doesn't produce the result.

I even tried manually adding date, but no success. I also changed my nomenclature from Q to Qtr in case it was messing up with BI's automatic Quarter fields. That didn't help as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.