Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GoingIncognito
Advocate III
Advocate III

Month over Month change

Hello, all you wise people.

For some reason I've problem writing a measure that gives me MoM change. This should be an easy task.

Sum(balance) gives me the total as it shoud, BUT when ever I insert any time intelligence the measure gives me blank. What could cause this? I do have true and tried calendar table, and I double checked the relation to my fact table. The balance is given only for last day of each month, but this shouldn't be a problem - should it?

I've tried variations of

MoM = sum(balance) - calculate(  sum(balance), dateadd('calendar[date], -1, month) )

MoM = TotalMTD(sum(balance), 'calendar[date])

E: MoM = calculate( sum(balance), previousmonth('calendar[date]) )

but I receive only blanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am sincerely thankful for your help!

I think I finally solved this. For some reason the time intelligence didn't work - maybe there's a problem in the data, who knows - but I changed the [last_day_of_the_month] provided in the data to [first_day_of_the_month]. That worked.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @GoingIncognito ,

Is "balance" a measure or a field? It seems that the writing of sum(balance) is wrong. Other than that, your formula doesn't seem to be wrong. Could you share your sample data?

I created a demo like the following, you can see if there is any difference with your data.

1.PNG

Here is the demo, please try it:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EdT57djaTiJHqroo64...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply!

Balance is a field. There is only one balance for each month.

PBI.PNG

I am still at loss, what am I doing wrong?

Picture above includes the date from fact table, date from calendar table, and following measures

Measure1 = SUM('fact table'[balance])

Measure2 = calculate([Measure1], dateadd('calendar'[date], -1, month)

MoM = [Measure1] - [Measure2]

Hi @GoingIncognito ,

Why do you want to use two date columns, try removing the “Fact date” column, or remove the "Calendar date" column and change Measure2:

Measure2 =
CALCULATE ( [Measure1], DATEADD ( 'fact table'[date], -1, MONTH ) )

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am sincerely thankful for your help!

I think I finally solved this. For some reason the time intelligence didn't work - maybe there's a problem in the data, who knows - but I changed the [last_day_of_the_month] provided in the data to [first_day_of_the_month]. That worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.