Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sunil2020
Frequent Visitor

Month on month count of carry forward tickets

Hi

I have recently started learning Power BI. This is one scenario which i'm struggling to find a solution.

• I have a table with details of tickets raised (I have used dummy values in this table)
  • New Support Tickets are raised by users every month
  • Some tickets are cancelled by users
  • Some tickets are resolved in the same month
  • Some tickets get carried forward to next month OR even carried forward for more than 2-3 months

For each month I want to get count of Tickets carried from previous month(s) i.e. Need count of all open tickets raised in the past months which are still open OR which have been closed in the current month OR future months. 

Data Table Format

Ticket IDRequest DateTicket Raised BYTicket StatusClosed Date
10125-Mar-20JackieOpennull
10225-Mar-20SamResolved2-Apr-20
1033-Apr-20JackieCancelled5-Apr-20
1045-Apr-20JackieResolved10-May-20
10515-Apr-20SamOpennull
10620-May-20JackieResolved25-May-20
10724-May-20JackieOpennull
10824-May-20SamResolved3-Jun-20
10928-May-20SamResolved15-Jun-20
11030-May-20JackieOpennull
1113-Jun-20SamOpennull

Expected Output:

MonthC/F Count
Apr-20202
May-20203
Jun-20206

Should I create a separate summary table and include a formula-based custom column OR this can be achieved by using a measure?

Appreciate the help. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is an expression that returns your desired results.  It assumes you have a Date table with no relationship to your Tickets table, and you've used a YearMonth column from that Date table in your visual. If you do have a relationship, you can all ALL('Date'[Date]) to the CALCULATE().

Carryover Tickets =
VAR __mindate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Tickets ),
        Tickets[Request Date] < __mindate,
        OR ( Tickets[Closed Date] >= __mindate, ISBLANK ( Tickets[Closed Date] ) )
    )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Almercie
Frequent Visitor

I ended up solving this via a calculated column for my own reporting.

Carry Over Tickets = 

VAR startmonth =
    MONTH ( Incident[Created Date] )

VAR endmonth =
    IF (
        ISBLANK ( Incident[Resolved Date] ),
        MONTH ( TODAY () ),
        MONTH ( Incident[Resolved Date] )
    )

RETURN
    IF ( startmonth = endmonth01 )

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is an expression that returns your desired results.  It assumes you have a Date table with no relationship to your Tickets table, and you've used a YearMonth column from that Date table in your visual. If you do have a relationship, you can all ALL('Date'[Date]) to the CALCULATE().

Carryover Tickets =
VAR __mindate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Tickets ),
        Tickets[Request Date] < __mindate,
        OR ( Tickets[Closed Date] >= __mindate, ISBLANK ( Tickets[Closed Date] ) )
    )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hello Pat,
In my case there are three service line and need to create report like given below:
Report_out.JPG

I have created new table for this calculation as given below.

Data.JPG

I can see there were mismatch in backlog calculation while trying to use your DAX formula.

e.g: For Service 'A'  there is actual start of service "A" is from Mar-16 so previous value showing 0 for all columns.

As per DAX formula for Service "A" for Mar-16

Inflow =6
       Closed = 3 then Backlog should be : Carry_Fwd (0)+6-3 = 3  but DAX formulation value showing 4.

Same for Apr-16: if logically Backlog considering 4 as Carry_Fwd of last month 4+9-3 = 10 but it showing 9.

I have made little bit change and used below DAX formula:

----------------------------------------

Backlog =
var _ser = NEW_MOR[Service]
var _date = NEW_MOR[End_Date_Month]
var Carr_Value = CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Sheet1 ),
Sheet1[Service]= _ser,
Sheet1[Opened] <= _date, OR(Sheet1[Closed] > _date, ISBLANK ( Sheet1[Closed]) ) )
RETURN
IF(ISBLANK(Carr_Value),0,Carr_Value)
----------------------------------------

Could you please help me Backlog formula so I can create another table of Carr Fwd. By considering old month Backlog = next Month Carry Fwd?

I'm new in Power Bi and still learning for better understing.

Kind Regards,
Harshal Kulkarni 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pat,

I have a similar problem I am trying to solve. Your recommendation worked with the Date table that doesn't have a relationship but I need to use a date table that has a relationship since I need to chart (line) of the Carryforward on the chart that also shows the number of new and closed tickets (same timeline). You said that in such a case just to add ALL('Date'[Date]) to CALCULATE(). I tried different ways but cannot get it right. Can you please clarify how would i do it in that case?.. thanks ! 

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result in a simple table format.  Once we get the correct result in a Table, we can always switch to any other visual.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is same input data as in the original post and same expected results. The difference is that I have to use Date table that has active relationship to Request Date column and inactive relationship to Closed date. 

Here is the example of the visual. I (already) have new and closed tickets, but need to also have a line that represents total open in that month (some are from that month, some are carry-overs from previous months - just same as in the original post). 

rous_0-1597459932625.png

thank you! 

I cannot undertnd the expected result.  For June 2020, why should the answer be 6?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ashish,

thank you.. nvm... I finally was able to find a solution from another community post that worked. thank you for looking into this for me. 

Thank you Pat. Your formula helped me to find the solution. Really appreciate the help.

In my model, I'm creating an extra table with one of the columns as the Report published Date (Data is refreshed on the last day of each month). In this table, I have added a few custom fields in the table including one custom field to calculate the count of carry forward tickets in the below manner.

Tickets C/F = CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS('Tickets'),
FILTER(
'Tickets',
(('Tickets'[Status] = "Open" && 'Ticket'[Request Date] < [MonthStartDate]) || ('Tickets'[Status]<> "Open" && 'Tickets'[Request Date] < [MonthStartDate] && 'Tickets'[Closed Date]>=[MonthStartDate]))
)
)

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can turn your question logic around.

Find all tickets that have NOT been closed in the month they were opened.

That would have worked if I need to know which tickets raised in the previous month which were not closed and carried forward to current month. I also need to consider the tickets which were raised in the past months. Such tickets will be carried forward for more than 1 month.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.