Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ritesh_Air
Post Patron
Post Patron

Month Order Wrong

Hello,

I put my post in other thread but it already had a solution so putting it here.

In my visual, my month name is not sorting it correctly in my report.

I have searched everywhere but not sure where is the issue and why it is happening. I tried (almost) everything.

My month name is getting sorted by Month Number (which is a whole number). I am using a shared dataset. If I put the visual in shared dataset to test, it gives correct sort order. But in report itself which is referencing to the Shared data set gives the wrong sort order. Not sure why it's happening. It was working fine earlier.

In Report:

Ritesh_Air_0-1617329321056.png 

Ritesh_Air_2-1617329463294.png

In Shared Dataset: Correct sort order

Ritesh_Air_1-1617329370929.png

My question is: Why my report which is referencing to shared dataset, the graph is unable to make a connection and I am looking for sort order by month number for month column???

Thanks in adavance,

-rk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Ritesh_Air 

You need to set the sort order of the month name short in your date table based on the month number.  Take a look at this video that shows how.

https://youtu.be/NlX7Cp2P0d4?t=57

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Ritesh_Air 

You need to set the sort order of the month name short in your date table based on the month number.  Take a look at this video that shows how.

https://youtu.be/NlX7Cp2P0d4?t=57

Thanks @jdbuchanan71 , I saw that vidoe and I am doing that exactly.

Ritesh_Air_0-1617333795229.png

Not sure where the disconnect is? As said, the report which is referencing to this dataset is not giving the correct sort order. But If I put the visual in the shared data set to test, I see correct sort order. But obviously, I need to make it work in the Report.

Thanks,

-RK

@Ritesh_Air 

That is very strange.  In your new report, the one using the shared data set, if you just put a table on a page and add the 'Month Of Year Short Desc' field to it, do the still come out in the wrong order?  Just testing if it is something odd with the graph or the model behavior.

Ahhhhhh....I found what the issue was. It was not in the PBIX but with the onedrive. It was not refreshing the service so I was assuming I had the latest file but it was not. Thanks for your input.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.