Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MongoDB remote server with SSH, as ODBC data source in Power BI

Hello! Recently I started using MongoDB, and I am having some problems on getting data from a MongoDB remote server with SSH, as ODBC data source in Power BI.

I have tested and confirmed that my client installation/setup is running correctly, as I am able to import data from MongoDB example datasets in localhost, via System DSN/ODBC. Everything installed is 64 Bit on Windows, including the BI connector locally. But I still can’t get data from the server.

Thanks in advance, if you can help me by answering one or more of the questions below:

1) Is there any tutorial or guide on connecting to a MongoDB remote server with SSH, as a data source? For now, I have followed this: https://docs.mongodb.com/bi-connector/master/local-quickstart/

2) SSH is not officially supported by Power BI, right? The only workaround is using PuTTY or similar softwares? The system DSN should be configured as localhost, then? Port number 3306 or 3307, or what?

3) About mongodrdl: Do I still need to create a .DRDL file even if the MongoDB server is running remotely, not locally? How do you do it? Does the .DRDL file needs to be stored locally or on the server? I have read that some paid/custom ODBC drivers automatically generate the .DRDL schema file via ODBC, but I suppose this is not the case with the free driver supplied by MongoDB?

4) About mongosqld: Start a mongosqld Process locally/on the client side? What about using mongosqld --mongo-uri even if I am connecting through PuTTY?

5) In this case, a gateway is mandatory for it to work? Or a gateway is optional, for more automation? Enterprise or Personal?

6) Windows “environment variables” should be added for the different MongoDB bin folders, right?

Thank you 😉

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You may check the posts below and create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post, english is not my first language.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.