cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Modifying the Layout file that is embedded in a pbix file

I know how to disassemble a pbix file by changing the extension to .zip and then oening it.  If I then change the extension back to .pbix I can then open it in Power BI.  However, I would like to modify the Layout file that is exposed when you disassemble the pbix.  But when I do that and change the extension of the .zip to .pbix, I get a corrupted file message when I try to open in Power BI.  This happens no matter how small and inocuous the change is.  

Is there any way to do this without getting the corrupted file message?

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Modifying the Layout file that is embedded in a pbix file

@maceyak,

I would recommend you follow the instructions in the blog below to change layout.

https://powerbi.tips/2018/01/introducing-layouts/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks, Lydia.  But I am not asking about changing the visual layout of a page.  I am asking about changing a particular file named "Layout" that is exposed when you deconsturuct a PBIX file.  This file contains the formatting information for the page and the text that the designer has entered into it.  To get to this file, you do the following to a PBIX file:

1. Changed the extension from ".pbix' to ".zip".

2.  Open the zip file.  You will see several folders.  Go into the Report folder, and you will see the Layout file.

--Joey

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@maceyak,

What property do you change in the Layout file? There is no official articles stating that what we can do or can't do in the Layout file.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

dia,

I want to change the displayNames and the textRuns.  Essentially I want to replace these by translations of the English into other languages and do this programatically.  I can do this, but then when I try to change the .zip file back to a .pbix file I can no longer open it in Power BI.  I get a message that the file is corrupted.  This happens with only the smallest change.  For example if I only change the first of the displayNames values, which is the name of the Power BI page, from "Page 1" to "Page 2".  Is there any way to make such a change without getting the corrupted file message?  If I make no change at all I can get back to the .pbix file and have it display again with no problem.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Still looking for answers on this.  Anybody?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

@maceyak,

I can reproduce your issue. There is no official article stating that we can change page via Layout file. I would recommend you directly open the PBIX file and change page name.

Regards,
Lydia

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi, have you found a solution for this yet?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

No.

Highlighted

Did you find solution for this issue? I too am facing the same issue while making changes to a visual through layout file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors