Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

addyb77
Helper I
Helper I

Modifying Vishal's Server SQL Info Dashboard

Hi all. I recently have looked at Vishals great sql server info power bi dash and thought it would be ideal for my needs.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/Vishal-s-Server-SQL-Info-Dashboard/td-p/91812

Im not fully conversant with power bi yet so i'm wondering if theres anyway to tweak the queries on this dash so i could filter via server instead of it just listing info for the one i specify when creating the initial connection. I support around 40 servers and have them all in a CMS (Central management server) but i would love to be able to modify this dash so i had a drop down list of my servers and i could just pick one and it retrieves the relevant data.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

3 REPLIES 3
ahih89

Hi addyb,

Do you still have the report as the link is no longer working. I will really appreciate it if you have it and send it to me.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@addyb77 wrote:

Hi all. I recently have looked at Vishals great sql server info power bi dash and thought it would be ideal for my needs.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/Vishal-s-Server-SQL-Info-Dashboard/td-p/91812

Im not fully conversant with power bi yet so i'm wondering if theres anyway to tweak the queries on this dash so i could filter via server instead of it just listing info for the one i specify when creating the initial connection. I support around 40 servers and have them all in a CMS (Central management server) but i would love to be able to modify this dash so i had a drop down list of my servers and i could just pick one and it retrieves the relevant data.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

@addyb77

Since you're attempt to connect to around 40 servers, then you may have to create 40 * queries in that report. Then create a indicating "serverName" column for each query. Then append the queries of same info from different servers. Then in the report, you can use slicer to filter the visuals to show the selected server info.

For more flexibility, you can create an external console application that extract the required information for 40+ servers in a loop and save the info a csv/excel. Then chedule the application running in, say every 5 minutes. You only have to change the source of already existing queries from SQL SERVER DB to csv/excel.

The second approach would be more managable, however it would require some coding skill.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i think multiple queries is my only real option based on my coding skills 🙂

I will give it some thought.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.