Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modifying Layout file inside pbix

I have 25 reports attached to 1 dataset.  this dataset has 250 measures that have all been renamed.  each report has multiple pages and each page has multiple visuals utlizing a great number of meausres, already formatted in the built reports.

For the life of me, i can't figure out why the reports don't update with the updated measure name from the master dataset.  I would figure since this is such a big selling point of PBI, this would be a master control.   However, im now stuck.

I have to believe that its possible to update the code behind the pbix file via the Layout file.  However, everything ive read on this and followed on test Reports has failed, i get a "file is encryted or corrupted" message.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  particularly after the more recent releases? (most everything i see is from last year)

im desperate to not do this by hand across so many touch points

6 REPLIES 6
mawh
Regular Visitor

Came across this post while googling for something unrelated. If you do these steps:

1) rename your file.pbix to file.zip

2) extract it

3) delete the SecurityBindings file

4) edit the JSON inside the Report\Layout file

5) select everything that was extracted from the zip and choose Send To.. Compressed Folder (if you extracted to a folder, do not put the whole folder in a zip, put the folder contents into the zip. When you open the zip file, you should have a Report folder and some other files in the root of the zip file)

6) rename the resulting zip back to pbix

It's the deleting the SecurityBindings file that prevents the "file was encrypted/corrupted/created in an unknown version of PBI" message

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

workaroud1:

I would recommend you follow the instructions in the blog below to change layout.

You can make a try: Introducing Layouts

workaround2:

If you indeed want to modify the pbix file without Power BI desktop, you can rename file extension from pbix to zip, then open the folder to find Connections file, open it in Notepad, you can see reference information. You can modify it then save the file. Rename zip back to the pbix file. Please back up your pbix file before changing file extension.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-henryk-mstf  this is not the Layout im referencing.

I am referring to the Layout file embedded inside the pbix.  the actual code for the file itself.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with the same problem. Anyone solved this?

@Anonymous you fixed the internal pbix Layout file references? Achieved any viable solution instead of manually rebuild all the dataset client reports?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly no.  I ended up have to do the whole thing manually.  Took HOURS upon Hours.

What i don't understand is that if part of the sell of this great tool is that I can build mutliple reports off the same dataset, how is the dataset not the master control?  The Measures i build should have unique IDs - so if I change the name, as long as the original measure is the one used, it should just updated on the reports themselves.  This was painful and tedious, and took so much time away from dev work.

Good luck, i hope you find a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely agree, this workflow is very painful and tedious!

I chose to update client reports Layout file directly inside pbix but it's very tricky and took much time too.

Didn't find a Power BI Idea asking this, created one now. Can you vote?

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=649ec802-682b-ec11-b76a-281878e608e9

For those searching a solution, I referenced it on the idea.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.