Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kawai
Regular Visitor

Modifications of reports via Power BI Service are not applied anymore for pulished report in Service

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding to the interaction between Power BI Desktop and Power BI service. I have created a report by using Power BI Desktop, pulished to the Service and shared with other users. Everything worked well. Then I ususually worked with the report in the Power BI Desktop (changes of visual, refreshing data, adding new queries etc.) and after each modification I re-pulished the report via Pulish Button on Power BI Desktop (with being asked about replacing dataset and I accepted) again. All changes had been applied and I could see the changes in report on the Power BI Service.

However, once I modified my report directly in the Power BI Service. After that, anytime when I worked/modified it in Power BI Desktop programme and pulished (same procedure as before), no changes have been applied except the refresh of database. That means, the status of data/data modelling is always updated but no visual changes (text, colour, filters etc.) have been applied for the report. Only changes made in the Service were applied.

Could you please help me? The report has been shared with recipients and therefore to delete and repulish is not a good option. With Power BI Desktop I can work more efficiently then with the Service.

Many thanks and best regards.

4 REPLIES 4
Arul
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kawai ,

After publishing your report into the service from desktop you need to save that file in service as well, then only it will get refresh in the shared files with your recipients.

For saving the file in your service you need to go edit report in your service, in that right upper corner your are able to find the save option,click and save. I hope now your are able to find your works in shared files as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

Kawai
Regular Visitor

@Arul: Many thanks for your help. However, that way does not help. All visual changes which are made in BI Desktop (adding filters, font changes etc.) have not been applied in the end report. The only things what were applied were changes of queries (add columms, change names etc.)

What I found really weird is, it does not happen when I publish the report onto My Workspace, it happens only when I publish the report onto Shared Workspace.

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Kawai Just to confirm, once you done modifications to the report in PowerBI Service and then before modifying the same report in Power BI Desktop, did you get the latest .PBIX file from the power bi service ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

@PattemManohar: I have done the modifications in PowerBI Service, then click on Save, all changes were applied directly but I did not download the latest .PBIX file to work in PowerBI Desktop to work offline.

However, I have made the same changes with .PBIX file in the Desktop and then further more modifications.

Maybe it is here the "problem"? So I have to download the .PBIX from Service, work in Desktop and then Pulish?

Many thanks for your feedback. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.