Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

corbusier
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Modeling data for Funnel Chart

Hi all, I am looking for a way to display a Conversion Funnel for our app. We have 7 different stages, and one user would have to go through the different stages in order to get to the end (sorry if I'm stating the obvious). 

Since we have multiple data sources, I've joined them all with a query that also pivots the data so it looks like this: 

App Version | User ID | Stage 1 timestamp | Stage 2 timestamp | Stage 3 timestamp  .... etc (with NULLs if the Stage doesn't exist). 

I see no way of using this data with the Funnel Chart. Should I model the data differently? We need the App Version to filter the report, but for the rest we just need the counts.

The second question is that the data isn't always reliable so you could have a User missing a couple of steps but still having Step 7 completed, for example. How do we deal with that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @corbusier,

I test it using your sample table.

1.PNG

Please replace the table header using 1,2 and 3. Right click the table->Power Query, select the 1,2 ,3 columns and click the unpivot columns(highlighted in red line).

2.PNG

Click the apply&close on home page, you will get expected result.

Best Regards,

Angelia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @corbusier,

Have you resolved your problem? If it didn't, is there any chance to post your sample data or .pbix file for analysis? So that we can post solution which is close to your requirement. 

Best Regards,

Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft, I gave the layout of the data in the question, and would like to actually get the data from a working Funnel visualization so I can see what it looks like, then model my data to behave the same. If you would like to know what the data is like in the source, I can give you that: 

The main table contains the Started and Finished dates and current status of the User. We also have an Activity table that contains detailed activity of the User, from which we extract what is meaningful to us. Lastly, we also have an external Email service, from which we extract Clicks and Opens of the Emails that the user has received (one at minimum, two maximum).

I was able to use the UNPIVOT function in SQL Server to get my data in the form that I needed it. I actually Googled "Funnel Chart Tableau" and the first blog had an example of how the data should look. 

http://www.evolytics.com/blog/tableau-201-how-to-make-funnel-charts/

The data should look like this: 

GenderStepPlayers
Female1371,393
Female235,490
Female336
Male1412,351
Male236,741
Male377

Whereas my data looked like this: 

GenderStep 1 PlayersStep 2 PlayersStep 3 Players
Female371,39335,49036
Male412,35136,74177

UNPIVOT worked.

Hi @corbusier,

I test it using your sample table.

1.PNG

Please replace the table header using 1,2 and 3. Right click the table->Power Query, select the 1,2 ,3 columns and click the unpivot columns(highlighted in red line).

2.PNG

Click the apply&close on home page, you will get expected result.

Best Regards,

Angelia

Thank you, @v-huizhn-msft, I hadn't seen that option!

LaurentCouartou
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

You could add all your timestamps columns  (with a Count aggregation) to the Values role of your funnel chart, or even write a measure for every column. Did you try that?

Regarding the "missing steps", I would just go for a simple rule like "if we have a timestamp for step x, then we should have a timestamp for all previous steps", that I would enforce at the query level.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.