Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modeling Software costs

I have a table that has Software A with a purchase cost and then an associated annual cost. There is also software B which can only be rented so it only has a annual cost. 

I created a new table with years 1-10:

DI_YEAR_TABLE.jpg

For software A in year 1 the cost is the purchase cost plus the annual and then years 2-10 are the annual cost only. 

So my goal is the cost column that reflects the above, and then a column of the cummulative cost. 

I want to show a chart of the cummulative cost over 10 years and then use slicers to focus in on each software package. 

I can calculate the sums for costs for all records in my software table, but i don't know which function will tie into the "slicers" so both the cost column and cum_cost column are only summing what is filtered. 

Any ideas on this is Helpful! Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Anonymous,

If you structure your data like this:

solution.png 

Then you should be able to create something like this:

solution 1.png

Hope this helps!

Caleb Foster

Anonymous
Not applicable

Caleb, Thank you for this and I've tried to do it this way but it really creates a cumbersome spreadsheet. I was hoping i could accomplish this using a combination of DAX, slicers, and Filters. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.