Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Laila92
Helper V
Helper V

Model tab all greyed out

Capture.PNG

As shown in the image, I can't click anything in the model tab. I am not using live connections, only import. Any solutions for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I copy pasted all the data sources ina  new powerbi desktop file and now it works.. So really not sure what was wrong with the other file.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Laila92 ,

An easier way to get rid of the greyed out model tab (that worked for me) was to create a new model tab and go back to the main tab.  

I dont have the issue anymore but will try next time!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a "solution" This is a problem with the Desktop software. We had this occur on multiple random reports. We are running the latest Desktop: 2.79.5768.1082

What we did to resolve it is rename the fields in the model window. Something innoculous like changing "S" to "s". We had to do this on multiple random fields until eventually the gray went away. There was no rhyme or reason on which ones to rename, or how many. Just keep doing until the gray dissapears. THE RELATIONSHIP LINES WILL NOT DISPLAY AFTER THIS. But it is okay. Simply do a save as, reopen, and the lines display and there is no more gray.

We initially thought it was a problem with special characters in the filed names. We had one like "Test & Demo & Butter". But changing it to "Test & Demo and Butter" worked on one report. So it still contained the same character. We don't think that is the cause, but worth mentioning.

This is a bug that needs to be addressed.

I am also having this problem. It's clearly a bug as when you click on the file menu it opens behind the greyed out area:Annotation 2020-05-18 165610.png

I have no live data connections and this view worked fine until the March update. I had read that it would be fixed in the latest release but the issue is still persisting.

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Laila92 ,

What's your data source? Did your data source change the location?

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

I copy pasted all the data sources ina  new powerbi desktop file and now it works.. So really not sure what was wrong with the other file.

Hi @Laila92 ,

Has your problem been solved? If the problem is resolved, you could accept your own reply to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Laila92 , I think this what @Greg_Deckler  was mentioning- https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-Model-quot-tab-no-longer-showing-relationships/td-p/97...

In this user has - turned on a live connection to the dataset on Power BI server

how can i make sure i have no live connections turned on for some reason?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Man, this happened to someone else recently but I cannot find the thread.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.