Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EllieShen
Regular Visitor

Model Relationships Customer Layout disappeared after upgrading to Power BI Desktop 2021 Oct version

I have a few report packages which each contains huge amount of tables. Previously I have already used several "Customer Layout" pages to manage the relationships within the data model for those reports. Below is one big report package as example: 

EllieShen_0-1634268713224.png

EllieShen_1-1634268869667.png

Before Oct 13, 2021, the relationships diagram in different custom layout pages, just works fine (see the sceenshots above). 
In the day Oct 13, 2021, Power BI desktop was upgraded to the new Oct version. (At the very beginning I installed Power BI Desktop from Microsoft Store. Every month's new version was installed automatically background.)

EllieShen_4-1634269678319.png

After this Oct upgrading, all the relationship diagrams in different customer layout pages are gone.

And even serious problem is that: 

if I re-do or create any new customer layout, and then save it.

And if I close it and then open the pbix file again. Nothing can be shown from there. This is a surprising behaviour! 
Assume something is wrong after this month new release. 

EllieShen_2-1634269430880.pngEllieShen_3-1634269465433.png

Before I posted this, I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall Power BI Desktop (from Microsoft Store), but the issue is still existing after the reinstallation. 

EllieShen_5-1634269808885.png

As this is quite key for handling relationships within data model, normal working cannot go on if this issue cannot be solved. 

Can anyone please look into this issue ASAP and suggest how to move forward? 
Many thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EllieShen,

According to your description, it seems like a similar issue that posts at the issue forum and has already been submitted at ICM 266775875 and working for a fix.
You can check the below link to know more about the issue status.

After the October 2021 update the model view is me... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
peterkalk
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same problem! This is a major bug in the October update!!

EllieShen
Regular Visitor

@jurgenvd 
Hi, with a proposal from my colleague: I installed both Power BI Desktop and Power BI apps from Microsoft store. 
Now if I open the pbix file by double-clicking, then the above mentioned issue will still exist. 
However, if I open Power BI Desktop (a blank file) app first and then choose the pbix file from there, later the opened file will show me the correct custom layouts I did before. 

So I can start working by this way at the moment. Anyway, definitely something happened/wrong after 2021 Oct release. Hopefully Power BI team can look into this issue and fix it soon. 

jurgenvd
Helper I
Helper I

Having the same issue after latest release upgrade

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@EllieShen 

I don't know how to recover your old views but if you add the Case table to the view the right click on it and select 'Add related tables' does that get you to a better starting place at least?

jdbuchanan71_0-1634271420389.png

@jdbuchanan71 
I tried the same before this post. And as I described in the post, once I save the changes in the file. Close it and open the pbix file again. Nothing can be shown. Looks everything I saved just now disappeared. 

@EllieShen Sorry, I missed that part of your post.  I should have ready the whole thing before replying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.