Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Model Relationship Organization

I am hoping someone may have a creative solution to managing relationships in their models. I am familar and solid with the nature and behavior of my tables and the relations, but what I am hoping to find is a way to neatly organize my tables in the model tab.

If anyone knows of a snap feature or something that allows for the tables to quickly and uniformly be arranged I would appreciate the advice.

For the image below I know this only took a few minutes to arange, and this is a very simple report. I have additional reports with dozens of tables and dosenz of relationships.

Power BI Model Relations Organization.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous unfortunately it is not a very clean design, but one thing I always do I add a separate page for a various relationships so that at one time it is easy to see the relationship between a small set of tables. Although I think the relationship diagram tab needs overhauling and need improvement.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't think currently if there is an automated way to do this. You need to do it manually.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

@Anonymous unfortunately it is not a very clean design, but one thing I always do I add a separate page for a various relationships so that at one time it is easy to see the relationship between a small set of tables. Although I think the relationship diagram tab needs overhauling and need improvement.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. If you have configure relationships in the data source, Power BI will import them while getting data. 
  2. You could use the option of Autodetect.  (On the Home tab, select Manage Relationships > Autodetect.Power BI Desktop looks at column names in the tables you're querying to determine if there are any potential relationships. If there are, those relationships are created automatically.  If Power BI Desktop can't determine with a high level of confidence there's a match, it doesn't create the relationship. However, you can still use the Manage relationships dialog box to manually create or edit relationships.

4.PNG

For more details, please take a look at the document.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

Excepting the option, there isn't other workaround to manage them automatically. We still do it manually.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  Xue,

Thank you for getting back to my question. I'm familar with the nature of the relationships and model building. I am hoping to find a way to neatly organize it on the model tab so when there are dozens of relationsips and tables I can clearly congergate with a clean look. I was hoping to have something similar to the snapping function that is available when working with visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.