cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Model Relationship Organization

I am hoping someone may have a creative solution to managing relationships in their models. I am familar and solid with the nature and behavior of my tables and the relations, but what I am hoping to find is a way to neatly organize my tables in the model tab.

If anyone knows of a snap feature or something that allows for the tables to quickly and uniformly be arranged I would appreciate the advice.

For the image below I know this only took a few minutes to arange, and this is a very simple report. I have additional reports with dozens of tables and dosenz of relationships.

Power BI Model Relations Organization.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Model Relationship Organization

@Kreichman88 unfortunately it is not a very clean design, but one thing I always do I add a separate page for a various relationships so that at one time it is easy to see the relationship between a small set of tables. Although I think the relationship diagram tab needs overhauling and need improvement.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kreichman88 ,

1. If you have configure relationships in the data source, Power BI will import them while getting data. 
  2. You could use the option of Autodetect.  (On the Home tab, select Manage Relationships > Autodetect.Power BI Desktop looks at column names in the tables you're querying to determine if there are any potential relationships. If there are, those relationships are created automatically.  If Power BI Desktop can't determine with a high level of confidence there's a match, it doesn't create the relationship. However, you can still use the Manage relationships dialog box to manually create or edit relationships.

4.PNG

For more details, please take a look at the document.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

Excepting the option, there isn't other workaround to manage them automatically. We still do it manually.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi  Xue,

Thank you for getting back to my question. I'm familar with the nature of the relationships and model building. I am hoping to find a way to neatly organize it on the model tab so when there are dozens of relationsips and tables I can clearly congergate with a clean look. I was hoping to have something similar to the snapping function that is available when working with visuals.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Kreichman88 ,

I don't think currently if there is an automated way to do this. You need to do it manually.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Appreciate a Kudos! 🙂
If this helps and resolves the issue, please mark it as a Solution! 🙂
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@Kreichman88 unfortunately it is not a very clean design, but one thing I always do I add a separate page for a various relationships so that at one time it is easy to see the relationship between a small set of tables. Although I think the relationship diagram tab needs overhauling and need improvement.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Be a part of the leading Microsoft Business Applications digital event, curated for the APAC community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors