Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Model Performance

I am working with Microsoft Dynamics 365 CE data so I will use CE as my example, but the question is general enough that it can apply broadly.  I was rebuilding an old model the other day and am more focused on performance than I was when I built that original model.  My present model will be DirectQuery.

I wish to present to the user the sum of the estimatedvalue field from the Opportunity entity.  I need to be able to show open, won and lost slices of that sum.  In my old model, I created three separate measures (actually many more than that because we have several custom estimatedvalue fields for types of service/product and other characteristics like MTD, YTD, etc.):

CALCULATE ( SUM ( estimatedvalue ), Status = open ) )

CALCULATE ( SUM ( estimatedvalue ), Status = closed, State = Won ) )

CALCULATE ( SUM ( estimatedvalue ), Status = closed, State = Lost ) )

It occured to me that I could have a single measure and add the filters to the visual objects themselves - or to a whole page if it made sense.  

My question:  Which scenario would provide the least drag on the performance - 3 measures, or 1 measure with filters on the visuals?  Or does it make no difference?

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Slicer is visualisation of a filter. So that makes no difference. In your scenario, one measure wilt filter will be better. As measure is a kind of calculation based on your selection in your filer / slicer. Measures are calculated at the time of your query, So The performance of one meaure with filter will be better here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.